cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas for someone who has weak arms

lynda1619
Contributor

Hi. I just received my canon rebel and I love it. My problem is that I have a form of muscular dystrophy and it is hard for me to hold the camera up and work the lens at the same time. Does anyone have any ideas about maybe a style of harness  that would hold the camera up so I can operate the lens and snap the pictures. Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ScottyP
Authority
Hi Lynda.

Two things come to mind.

1.). A monopod. These are just a lightweight collapsible pole you mount the camera onto. It bears the weight of the camera, but unlike a 3-legged tripod, it lets you turn the camera, pivot upwards and downwards etc. I use mine sitting in a chair or standing when shooting my kids soccer games because the camera gets heavy after a while, plus the monopod also steadies the camera well. These are not really expensive and are quite light, especially the carbon fiber ones.
2.). Tilt screen. If your camera has a tilt screen You could maybe let the camera hang in its strap and compose your shot looking down onto the folded out tilt screen. You would be shooting in live view so the camera would be focusing slowly but it would work.

Good luck.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
You can also get a walking/hiking staff that has a tripod attachment so you get a double use item. Potential downside is that the hiking staff doesn't collapse as short as a true monopod.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

ScottyP
Authority
Hi Lynda.

Two things come to mind.

1.). A monopod. These are just a lightweight collapsible pole you mount the camera onto. It bears the weight of the camera, but unlike a 3-legged tripod, it lets you turn the camera, pivot upwards and downwards etc. I use mine sitting in a chair or standing when shooting my kids soccer games because the camera gets heavy after a while, plus the monopod also steadies the camera well. These are not really expensive and are quite light, especially the carbon fiber ones.
2.). Tilt screen. If your camera has a tilt screen You could maybe let the camera hang in its strap and compose your shot looking down onto the folded out tilt screen. You would be shooting in live view so the camera would be focusing slowly but it would work.

Good luck.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thank you ScottyP. 

I have been checking into this as I think this may work well. I did get a tripod with my camera and it did work well, just bulky. Thank you for your suggestion. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
You can also get a walking/hiking staff that has a tripod attachment so you get a double use item. Potential downside is that the hiking staff doesn't collapse as short as a true monopod.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you JR.

I have also been looking into this option also. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Those suggestions would not be my top choice for you.  I had a similar case just a while ago with a lady.  We got her one of these hiking harnesses.  They range in price from around $40 to $150 bucks.  It holds the camera "most" of the time for you.  You will still need to do the acutally shooting but the time you have to actually hold it is reduced to where it becomes possibile.  Much less tiring for you.  Plus you can't drop the camera!

IMG_308308.jpg

Check these out and see if it will work for you.  A tripod or monopod is just more weight you would have to carry. Not a good solution for you in my mind.  You can carry quite a heavy camera with these with little effort.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you ebiggs.  Looking at the design, I'm not sure it would work for me. I can carry the camera around my neck but the problem for me is I can't hold the camera steady enough, adjust the lens and snap the picture. I guess what I am looking for is a harness type thing that holds the camera up like a tripod. then I have both my hands free to work with the lens and shooting. Thanks again for your suggestion. 

I think you have the same condition that the lady I just helped with this.  The trouble with a tripod or even a monopod is in order to work they are heavy.   She could not carry one because she had no one else with her.

She got a Rebel, a T5i I believe and a couple of prime, not zoom, lenses.  There is little to zero action needed with the lens.  Just compose and snap.  The harness holds the light Rebel right close to where its needed.

What type shooting did you want to do?  If you are into wildlife, the equipment can get and is very heavy.  Do you have soembody to go along with you on shoots?  Go somewhere and try a tropod before you buy one.  Remember a flimsy tripod is worthless.  A carbon fiber tripod, much lighter, is very expensive, so be ready.

Also and option is the Powershot G16 and/or the

G1x II.  Make no mistake these are extremely capable cameras.

23.jpg

This one runs around $800 bucks and has all the same features as a Rebel.  You will not need to fiddle with the lens at all.  It has a powered zoom! (24-120mm f2 lens)

EB

Hi ebiggs.

have what they call Charcot Marie Toothe. I am kind of backwards as I am weaker in my upper body then my lower. IW$hen I bought my camera it came with a zoom lens, regular size lens, ipod, case, and extra lens ( the madnified lenses and the tinted lenses.  I love the camera, just need to adjust. Only had it 2 days now. 

All the best to you.  Smiley Happy

EB
Announcements