cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to do a 30 sec exposure on my EOS600 Rebel T3i using a remote control.

Kener
Contributor

The manual says to put it in the bulb setting.  Last year I just did a 30 sec exposure w/o the remote control.  I'm trying to determine if the remote that came with the camera is not working (Zeikos ZE-WRC6,  I've changed the battery to no avail.) or I'm doing something wrong.  The manual says to put it the ios in the bulb setting.  That makes no sense to me.  Shouldn't the remote work at any setting?

Should I just buy a new remote or am I not understanding something or doing something wrong?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.  Thank you in advance.  [In the "old days," I just plugged in the cable release on my 35mm.]

I'm shooting Northern Lights, BTW.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The remote only works in the 10 sec self-timer position, but it's not a problem because the response is instant, not 10 seconds, when you use the remote shutter. 

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

If you want a 30 second exposure without a remote shutter release, the camera can do that all by itself  as it has a shutter speed range of 1/4000 to 30 seconds.  You can set 30 seconds in Manual mode or Tv mode, or let the camera do it automatically in Av or Program mode.  In addition to 30s, you can also select 25s,20s,15s,13s,10s, 8s, 6s, etc.

You would need to use the self-timer to prevent camera shake or you can use a remote shutter release to trip the shutter at what ever shutter speed you have selected. 

Bulb mode is one of the shutter speed selections in Manual mode. There is no 30 second selection and you just hold the shutter open for as long as you like either by holding the camera shutter button, or by holding the button on a remote shutter release. The Camera Manual probably recommends using a remote shutter release so that you don't disturb the camera and get camera shake.

Mike Sowsun

I always try to use Manual mode.  I'm determined to get that down.  So I've done 30 sec exposures.  Since it is so long, there is no blur from pushing the button.   It would be nice to be able to use a remote to trip the shutter, tho.  I really don't want to put it in bulb mode and stand there and count off 30 seconds.

I guess my question is, what do I have to do to use the remote.  Will it only work in bulb mode?  Do I have to turn something else on, like time delay, to use the remote?  Can I use time delay and still do a 30s shutter speed?

None of this seems to work and I'm thinking I just have to buy a different remote than the one that came with the camera package.

Which remote do you have?
Mike Sowsun

Zeikos ZE-WRC6, it came with the camera pack and is the only thing that wasn't Canon brand.

That is a wireless InfraRed remote just like the Canon RC-6. You need to set the Drive mode to 10 Second Self-Timer/ Remote mode and it should work just fine.

If you follow the instuctions and it doesn't work, the battery may be dead or the remote is faulty.

_T3iaa.jpg

_T3i_remote.jpg 

Mike Sowsun

OK, I had that, plus I changed the battery, so the problem is that the remote doesn't work.  

For future reference, can I set the self timer to 2 seconds instead of 10 and still use the remote?  When one is shooting the Northern Lights, it is changing all the time and even w/ a 30 sec exposure, I am missing some things.

The remote only works in the 10 sec self-timer position, but it's not a problem because the response is instant, not 10 seconds, when you use the remote shutter. 

Mike Sowsun

Great.  Thank you so much for all your help, Mike!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements