cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I take a lot of people shots and have way too many out of focus pics.

focusyourshot
Apprentice

I have way too many out of focus shots.  I usually use tv mode with the shutter set at least 250 with the anti shake on.  I know there is a balance of aperature, iso and they seem to be close enough for lighting but the out of focus drives me nuts. This is the most important aspect of a pic in my opinion. I have sent my T2i in for focus issues two times and cannot tell a difference.  Any suggestions????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We'd probably have to see your shots with EXIF data to provide a specific response.

Canon did a 3-part video on how the AF system works with B&H Photo.  You can find the videos on YouTube... here's the link to part I:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAx86nblZ2g

I seem to recall each part is about 30 minutes, but well worth the time in what you'll learn about the focus system that you might not have known.

A LOT of factors can result in out of focus images.  Camera movement (slow shutter speed during a hand-held shot) is just one of many possibilities.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Are you using center point focusing? And, focus on the persons eyes.

I shot a wedding yesterday and took 1342 shots. I probably deleted 10 for out of focus issues. (OOF)

My nominal setting inside the church was ISO 800 with various Av and Tv. (no flash allowed)

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi, I know you mentioned "shutter set at least 250 with the anti shake on" but the effective focal range needs to be taken into consideration. Crop factor times focal length. Good hand holding technique is also very important, breathing and slow shutter button movement. It maybe a little tough to use but I have a mono pod that is folded up to about 18" that I use to brace against my tummy to better stablise my shots. Yes its more work and effort but solid shots are well worth it. Kick your shutter speed up, try some shots at F8 - 10 and let us know.

Mike Goodwin 7D/400D/ Manfrotto 3228W Giotto MH3300/ 400mmL/ 50mm F1.4/28mm F2.8/28x135 & Tamron 18x270

Yes, I probably should kick up my shutter and see what happens. Probably iso too? And also work on the breathing and slow shutter button. I willing to try almost anything because I have so many ruined pics because they are not in focus.

Yes, Center focus is important. I made that mistake when I first got my t2i. I took pics at a outdoor wedding and 4 out of 5 shots were out of focus. I was using the CA mode with the 75-300mm. Not very happy with the outcome.

We'd probably have to see your shots with EXIF data to provide a specific response.

Canon did a 3-part video on how the AF system works with B&H Photo.  You can find the videos on YouTube... here's the link to part I:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAx86nblZ2g

I seem to recall each part is about 30 minutes, but well worth the time in what you'll learn about the focus system that you might not have known.

A LOT of factors can result in out of focus images.  Camera movement (slow shutter speed during a hand-held shot) is just one of many possibilities.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for the info. I watched the first one and was impressed with the data. I am sure this will help, especially the three focus modes of which I think I should use the ai servo mode with people shots on the move. Thanks Tim

If you are using the kit lens supplied with the T2i, you are not going to get the best focusing the camera is capable of. The lens is just too slow. And remember look for contrast when using the T2i.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements