cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I recently bought a Canon EOS Rebel T6 on 8-9-16

acerv
Apprentice

AF mode won't work on both lenses but MF mode will.. can someone help me? I bought a bundle at Sams Club and I don't know if I should return it to them.. please someone respond before the Return period is up.. I really need help.

5 REPLIES 5

Jason
Whiz

Hi, acerv!

Thanks for posting on our forum! As this appears to be a time-sensitive matter, we wanted to mention you also have the option to reach out to our US-based technical support team. They can be reached via Email at http://bit.ly/CanonEmail or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) Monday-Friday from 8:00 am to 12:00 am ET, and Saturday from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm ET.

This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. We do hope someone is able to assist! If this is an urgent matter, reaching our support team may be a faster option.

Thanks and have a great day!

ScottyP
Authority

Try resetting all camera settings to default. Maybe someone set it for back button focus or something. Does it even try to autofocus or does it do nothing when you partially depress the shutter button?  

If if it is trying to focus but looks blurry adjust the tiny diopter dial on the viewfinder to match your eyesight. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

acerv
Apprentice

I don't know how to reset camera settings. I lightly press and hold down the shutter button for it to focus but it will not take the picture.

@acerv wrote:

I don't know how to reset camera settings. I lightly press and hold down the shutter button for it to focus but it will not take the picture.

Turn the mode switch on top of the camera to the Green "A" in a box.  Make sure the lens AF/MF switch is in the AF position.  Go outside in bright sunlight, and then try it. 

The most common reasons for the camera not taking a picture is that it has not locked focus.

- not enought light for the AF, auto-focus, system to get a reading

- not enough contrast for the AF system to get a reading, it cannot focus on solid colors, it needs something with lines in it.

- not enough distance between the subject and the camera lens, the camera kit lenses have MFD, minimum focus distance, or macro distance stamped on them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I don't know how to reset camera settings."

Most new people to the wonderful world of DSLR cameras don't either.  You have to options, first call Canon Tech Support.  This will determine your second option whether to return it to Sam's for a replacement.

"I lightly press and hold down the shutter button for it to focus but it will not take the picture."

Make sure the lens switch is set to AF. This is the switch on the lens that has a MF/AF selection.  Choose AF.  What you said indicates the camera is not achieving focus.  If it doesn't, it will not fire.

OK. Try this, put the mode dial on the P setting.  Make sure the lens is set to AF.  Go outside in good daylight and try it.  Does it work?  If it does, there is nothing wrong with it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements