cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I purchased a Canon Rebel T2i 3 years ago.. now the camera will not power up. any suggestions??

Deanie
Apprentice

My Canon Rebel T2i that I purchased about 3 yrs ago will not power up..  it has been working just fine until a couple of days ago..  I have checked the door on the battery and the card slot, both seem to be in good shape, I have also recharged the battery to be sure it wasn't dead..    anyone have an idea of what the problem may be??

5 REPLIES 5

Skirball
Authority

Can you get your hands on another battery, to cross that out?

Three most likely candidates: battery, battery charger, battery/SD card door.

Most the time it's the door, it's just that one of them isn't completely closed.  But every once in awhile a microswitch either gets stuck, or actually dies.  First thing I'd do it try actuating it with a toothpick or something.  If everything seems to be OK then you're either sending it in (probably costs as much as a refurbished camera), or taking it apart yourself.

Thank you skirball for your help..   I (as of right now) do not have an extra battery but will get one to see if that is the problem.  I have checked the doors to make sure they work properly and seem to be fine.. 

Again, thank you for your input..  greatly appreciated.

Deanie

Unfortunately a new battery won't check if the charger is working, but I recommend having two batteries anyway. 

Any of the Rebels use the same battery, perhaps there's somebody who would let you try theirs?  It's an extremely popular camera, if I didn't know anybody I'd consider just going out to a nearby landmark or something and finding someone who has one.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The battery, charger and battery door are possibile but not single causes.  And they are really not a cause for the camera not to be turned on at all.  Well, the open door switch could but not the other two.  Did the camera recieve any damgae?  A fall perhaps or hard bump. Got wet or left on a car dashboard in the heat of the day?  Also are you using a non-Canon lens?

On a Rebel XTi anyway, perhaps the T2i is the same, open the battery door, with the hinge at the top.  You will see in the bottom left corner a very small lever in a hole. When the door is closed there is a button in the corner of the door that pushes that lever. The purpose of this switch is to tell the camera the door is closed. So, it can be turned on. You can test this by pushing the lever to the left with the door open and a charged battery installed.   The camera should turn on.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you ebiggs1  

I appreciate your help..   I tried what you said about the lever on the battery door but it still will not power on..  I will either find someone with a canon and try their battery or buy a new one and see if that is the problem, but thank you so much for your imput..   🙂

Deanie

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements