cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I owned a Canon Rebel T2i and everytime I connect it thru USB cable to my comoputer it goes BUSY...

ChristianM
Apprentice

Hi, can you please help me, I owned a Canon Rebel T2i, i sually connect my camera to my laptop using a usb cable to transfer photos, before i dont have issues doing it, but since today, every time i plug the USB cable to my camera and then connect to my laptop there is a BUSY message on the screen and the Camera is not showing on my computer as a external drive...please help me....

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Pull the SD card and try using a reader.  This way we can more isolate whcih is at fault.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I've try inserting it on my Samsung Digital Camera, and my computer quickly detected it and I've manage to transfer photos from DSLR Memory card...

amfoto1
Authority

Have you updated anything on your computer? If so, maybe it's lacking the driver for the camera and not recognizing it. Even if you haven't made any changes to the computer, the driver might have gotten corrupted somehow, too, I suppose.

Turn the camera off before plugging in the cord... then turn it on after it's connected. If the driver is lacking, the computer should tell you.

You might need the software disk that came with the camera (or download and install the latest version of EOS Utilities from the Canon website).

Otherwise, it's most likely the USB cord or the socket for it on one end or the other (computer or camera).

One reason I never download via USB cable is the fragility of those cables and sockets. If the socket goes bad in the camera, it's going to be rather expensive to replace (requires rather full disassembly of the camera, at least. 

Another reason is it's usually a lot faster downloading via a card reader. (How much faster depends upon the card reader and connectivity... The ExpressCard reader I use with my laptop to read Compact Flash cards is more than twice as fast as USB 2.0. If I were using an older USB 2.0 card reader instead, it would be no improvement.)   

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

"If the driver is lacking, the computer should tell you."

It is unlikely a specific driver is required.

From Canon Rebel T2i.

"There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Had the same thing occur the first time I tried to load images via the cord with my EOS M. I then tried the built in SD card slot on my computer and everthing loaded just fine. As mentioned a card reader is your best bet.

dwinmichigan
Contributor

My brother has a Rebel T2i, so it does not have wifi capability. He would like to be able to quickly and easily transfer his pics to his phone for quick viewing and sharing. 

He's looked into the wifi SD cards, but the support for those on mobile devices does not appear to be very reliable. In lieu of wifi, is there a way to connect his camera with a USB cable to an Android phone (or any mobile device)? If so, where would he find the right type of cable, and what mobile app would support the connection?

He can use his laptop, but he would rather have something less cumbersome. He doesn't necessarily want to control his camera remotely with his phone, although that would be a nice option. He would settle for faster viewing options for now, until he can upgrade his camera body.

Hi, dwinmichigan!

This isn't a "Canon Official" answer, but from my personal experience, because I also have a T2i.

Your brother is going to need a USB "OTG" cable. That means "On The Go." It will allow the Android device to become a host device for the camera. There are many different kinds on the market. You need to make sure one end will plug into your brother's phone - so it'll be USB C (the newest kind), USB Micro (the next most common), OR one end can plug into the camera, and have a female end that your brother can plug his phone's cable into. That's the kind I have because I get a new phone periodically, but my camera never changes. For that, you want a MINI USB B to female USB A, like this: 
USB Mini OTG.jpg

Remember, this is NOT supported by Canon whatsoever. This is just something I figured out by trial and error, so your mileage may vary. 

Thank you!

@Stephen wrote:

Hi, dwinmichigan!

This isn't a "Canon Official" answer, but from my personal experience, because I also have a T2i.

Your brother is going to need a USB "OTG" cable. That means "On The Go." It will allow the Android device to become a host device for the camera. There are many different kinds on the market. You need to make sure one end will plug into your brother's phone - so it'll be USB C (the newest kind), USB Micro (the next most common), OR one end can plug into the camera, and have a female end that your brother can plug his phone's cable into. That's the kind I have because I get a new phone periodically, but my camera never changes. For that, you want a MINI USB B to female USB A, like this: 
USB Mini OTG.jpg

Remember, this is NOT supported by Canon whatsoever. This is just something I figured out by trial and error, so your mileage may vary. 

Stephen, you're an interesting case: a Canon employee who still has - and uses - a T2i. I've always thought that the T2i, for its time, was one of the best cameras Canon ever made. My wife loved hers. She still won't let me pass it on to the grandchildren, even though she now has a 7D2.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements