cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I noticed when taking video on my T6i the LCD is displaying a cropped letterbox. why is this?

nickm286
Apprentice

I recently noticed when taking video on my T6i the LCD is displaying a cropped letterbox. why is this?  I'm almost positive it never happend before. I haven't changed any settings (intentionally)  other than Frame Rate. I haven't had a chance to review the footage. Just wondering what is actually happening.   Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am almost positive that what you are seeing is normal.  It's all about the aspect ratio of the screen, photos, and your video.  Your camera defaults to shooting stills with a 3:2 aspect ratio.  Your LCD has this same ratio, so that stills shot at 3:2 will fit the full screen. 

I'm betting that you're shooting HD video with a 16:9 ratio, 1440 x 1080 pixels.  These images will display on your camera LCD in letterbox format.  Also, if you use the LCD to focus in "Live View" mode for a still shot, and then take the shot before taking the camera out of "Live View mode, which closes the shutter, you're probably going to get a still with a 16:9 aspect ratio, instead of 3:2.  Try it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements