cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just got my T4i and love it. What is the best memory card for the T4i? I'm new at this. Thank You

Bonzo
Contributor
T4i
7 REPLIES 7

hsbn
Whiz

Sandisk is good one. It has to be at least Class 10.  The Sandisk Extreme is pretty good. It's fast and it doesn't cost a lot. But if it is still a little expensive, you can use the Ultra lineup from Sandisk (a bit cheaper but still good for your camera). You don't need to spend $ on the Extreme Pro line up.

In short, any card with write speed faster than 20MB/s is good for both still and video. Personally, I like Sandisk and Lexar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Skirball
Authority

Do you shoot video or mostly stills?  I don't think there's a lot of difference in burst speed (if shooting RAW) by card speed, providing that you're using a modern speed card.  The super fast cards (90+ mbps) are a waste of money, IMHO.  I use Sandisk Ultra and Extreme speed cards, and I can't really tell a difference.  I do buy name brand though (Sandisk and Lexar), the little bit of extra money is worth the cost.  I've never had a SD card fail, and I don't care to.

Movie may be a different story.  I know people who shoot a lot of movie usually use super fast cards.

Edit: Every time I finish typing a response and hit post I find that either HSBN or Cicopo has beat me to it.

Thanks I'm mostly gonna shoot stills but my son is a drummer and I would want to video him in action.

Definitely buy quality cards and stay away from cheap and mediocre ones.  I've used Sandisk for years and have not had any issues with them (knock on wood).  Currently use Extreme and Extreme Pro in dSLRs, and Extreme in Powershots.  I do not shoot video, except maybe an occasion casual video from a Powershot.

Personally I like smaller capacity cards like 16 gigs as opposed to larger capacity cards.  I prefer to put my eggs in multiple baskets as opposed to one giant basket just to be safe.  Make sure you always format your cards from your camera before use.

B&H always seems to have great prices.

Be sure it's either an SDHC or SDXC card or you'll have troubles getting the camera to recognize them.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

What's the difference between SDHC and SDXC cards?

I think it's the type of file structure used . See the info here.

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/cards

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements