cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have the chance to buy a Canon EOS Rebel Ti 35mm film SLR camera for $160.00.

creedsgirl318
Apprentice

I have the chance to buy a

Canon EOS Rebel Ti 35mm film SLR camera for $160.00 but didn't realize it is a "film" camera. is the film costly and how does this operate? it looks to have a digital screen on it....so you choose the pics to be imprimted to the film or what?

7 REPLIES 7

ScottyP
Authority
This makes me feel old.

The film camera was the only kind of camera until about 20 years ago, and it wasn't until a bit after that that digital cameras got good enough to replace film cameras.

The camera you were looking at is a on SLR camera. There is no digital sensor in it at all. You can't choose film or digital. It is really just a fancy lightproof box that opens up for a fraction of a second to expose 35mm spots on a strip of undeveloped film.

You have to buy the film in rolls of 12, 24 or 36 exposures. Once you have taken the shots you have to pay to have prints developed. You don't see your images until you open the little envelope of prints from the photo lab.

It is pretty expensive if you shoot much and you have to have decent technique since you can't see the shots and delete the bad ones so you pay for every shot.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@creedsgirl318 wrote:

I have the chance to buy a

Canon EOS Rebel Ti 35mm film SLR camera for $160.00 but didn't realize it is a "film" camera. is the film costly and how does this operate? it looks to have a digital screen on it....so you choose the pics to be imprimted to the film or what?

Sounds way too expensive for that camera.

I purchased a pro level Canon 1N in excellent condition about 5 years ago for $125. It would sell for even less today.

If the camera has a lens that is where the value is, but, any normal kit lens for that camera would not be worth that much either.

My advice would be to pass on it.

If you are looking to get into photography go digital all the pros have. Look for a used Canon 40D that is an excellent camera and is in that price range.

thx so much for the info 🙂

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

That price sounds REALLY expensive.  Very few 35mm film bodies are worth more than $100 (it's easy to find them for much less than $50 ... seriously).  

While film purchase, processing, and printing prices will vary, I tend to use $15 as a guideline... in other words if you combine the cost to buy the film, then send the film out for processing and printing, it's probably going to run somewhere around $15 per roll.  10 rolls of film later and you've gone through $150.   

You can see how it wouldn't take long before the expense of film will quickly add up to the point that it exceeds the cost of a mdoern entry level DSLR camera.

People still shoot film today, but not for reasons of managing their expenses... usually they're just passionate about film and those people tend to own their own darkroom equipment and do their own processing and printing.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"That price sounds REALLY expensive."

That is not only "REALLY" expensive it is insane.  Whoever sold it to you is no friend.  You can get a F1n for less.  Can you return it?  If yes, do so imediately.

If it had a $150 lens on it, maybe OK.

Now that you are totally beat down by all this, sorry for that, it is a capable film camera.  If you still want to use it it will do a decent job.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"That price sounds REALLY expensive."

That is not only "REALLY" expensive it is insane.  Whoever sold it to you is no friend.  You can get a F1n for less.  Can you return it?  If yes, do so imediately.

If it had a $150 lens on it, maybe OK.

Now that you are totally beat down by all this, sorry for that, it is a capable film camera.  If you still want to use it it will do a decent job.

Ernie, get a grip!! Unless I'm totally misreading this thread (possible, but somewhat improbable), HE DIDN'T BUY the ancient film camera yet. That's why he was asking us what we think. If he does decide to buy it (so that his grandchildren can haul it to "Antiques Roadshow" or for whatever other reason), he'll be going into it with his eyes open. 'nuff said.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston, If you read the entire post it sounds like the OP is asking how to use it.  Implying more than just, I am about to make this huge mistake?

Whether pre or post sale, I bet the OP got the message,

Maybe you need to step back from the coffee cup this morning.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements