cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have the canon rebel T5.

Jenred
Contributor

I used it for my sons outdoor lacrosse. The pics

were not good. Football season is here. What is a lens that isn't that expensive to get decent photos?

27 REPLIES 27

Danny

Hi, Jenred!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which lenses you're currently using on your EOS Rebel T5. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://usa.canon.com/support or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 8 AM and midnight ET (5 AM to 9 PM PT) and Saturdays from 10 AM to 8 PM ET (7 AM to 5 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What was not good?

For sports you want long lens with wide aperture.

Yo want to be shooting with AI Servo so that the camera can follow the subject.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Jenred wrote:

I used it for my sons outdoor lacrosse. The pics

were not good. Football season is here. What is a lens that isn't that expensive to get decent photos?

Taking good sports pictures takes a little bit of practiced skill with the camera, and some luck in being in the right position.  If at all possible, I suggest attending a team practice session so that you can practice using the camera.  The kit lenses that come with the T5 are not Canon's best, but they can capture photos that look pretty good on a smart device.

Lacrosse is played on a big field.  Ideally, you would want a long, or telephoto, lens, which means it has a focal length of 300mm or higher.  The longer the lens, the harder it is to hold steady for shots, which is why you see professionals on the sidelines at football games with their camera/lens combos mounted on a monopod.

Professionals put their cameras into manual shooting mode, and AI Servo focusing mode.  I suggest that you use the Basic Zone "Sports Mode" to shoot the games.  You will need some practice with this shooting mode, in order to use it effectively.  The camera will behave a little differently when it focuses.  Mainly, it will not beep when it locks focus because it is continuously adjusting focus, and would be beeping non-stop.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Post some of the "not good" pictures so we can get an idea of what the issue really is.

Jenred
Contributor
A lot of the pics were blurry. I will try
And post some. I know I def need practice shooting as I am very new to this type of camera. Someone suggested a sports lens but I don't want to waste
Money buying the wrong thing. I also can't afford a really
Expensive lens so I was looking for suggestions is o need a new
Lens one that won't break the bank.
Thank you!

@Jenred wrote:
A lot of the pics were blurry. I will try
And post some. I know I def need practice shooting as I am very new to this type of camera. Someone suggested a sports lens but I don't want to waste
Money buying the wrong thing. I also can't afford a really
Expensive lens so I was looking for suggestions is o need a new
Lens one that won't break the bank.
Thank you!

The question still stands.  What lenses do you have?  What lens did you use to take the sample photo you will be posting? I think you simply need to practice shooting, and gain familiarity with the camera before you invest in new gear.

Do you know how to determine the camera settings used for a given photo?  Can you determine what the shutter speed, f/stop setting, and ISO setting were used for a given photo?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

i purchased the Rebel T5

EF-S 18-55 IS II

it says zoom lens 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II

Im just using the lens that came with the camera

"it says zoom lens 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II"

I have never shot lacrosse or even seen a game but I do a lot of football so maybe it is similar.  Your lens is too short in focal length.  If you could swing it, the Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 SP Di VC USD for Canon would be perfect.  Still it is going to be a day light solution.  Use the same set-up as I stated before.

Perhaps the most important thing to consider it where you are shooting from.  This is the main most important thing.  It can determine whether you will be successful or not.  It is much more difficult to shoot from the stands or bleachers than field side.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I think the 55-250 is going to be more in her league. She mentioned budget as a concern, so I think a $1000 lens is out of the question. But then one of the recent OP's was willing to buy an L lens to fit her teleconverter, so who knows?

Announcements