cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a canon eos rebel sl1/100d. I can not take a picture.

craymond
Apprentice

I can not take a picture. The battery is working, the memory card was reformatted. I have had the camera about 6 months.I took many pictures on a vacation this summer. I uploaded these pictures. I just started taking pictures and I can't get an image.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If the camera is in the factory default "One Shot" mode, then it will not take a picture UNLESS it can confirm that it was able to lock focus on a subject.  No focus... no photograph.

If, however, you flip that little switch on the side of your lens that says "AF/MF" to the "MF" position (that's "Manual Focus" and the AF is "Automatic Focus") THEN you get an exception... in the "MF" position the camera is willing to take a photograph regardless of whether it thinks the image is focused or not... it doesn't care.  By flicking that little switch to the "MF" position you've told the camera that YOU will take care of the focus and it's not to consider focus at all.

If the camera WILL take a photograph (even if it's blurry) when the lens is in the "MF" position then it means the reason it wasn't taking a photo before is due to it's inability to focus.

There can be a few reasons why a camera might not focus.

1)  Not enough light:  To test this situation... just go to a place where there is plenty of light.  Like... outside during the middle of the day.

2)  A problem with one of the focus systems.  It turns out your camera actually has two different (totally independent) focus systems.  One is used when you are looking through the viewfinder to compose the shot.  The other is used if you use the live-view screen to compose the shot.  The reason there are two different systems is because your camera has a mirror inside.  When you look through the viewfinder you are actually looking through the lens.  To do this, they have to place a mirror between the lens and sensor so you can look through the same lens the camera is using.  But that mirror blocks all light from reaching the sensor.  So they actually a focus system that doesn't use the sensor and can focus when the mirror is in the way (the mirror actually bounces some of the light into the focus sensors).  When the mirror is flipped out of the way (for live-view shooting) it obviously cannot flip any light into that special focusing sensor.  So instead it uses the camera's imaging sensor to work out the focus.  

The two systems are independent and the only thing in common is that they both send instructions to the lens to move the focus in or out.    If one focus system isn't working... try the other (test focus looking through the viewfinder... and test focus by using "live view" mode (not looking through the viewfinder.)

3)  But that brings us to the third possible problem:  The lens.  The focus motors (for any Canon camera) are in the lens... not in the camera.  The camera merely sends instructions to the lens telling it which way to adjust the focus and how far.  If there's a problem with the lens, then it can fail to focus... even if there's absolutely nothing wrong with the camera itself.

If you have a different lens, you can swap lenses and see if the camera still has a focus problem.  If it only has a focus problem with one particular lens... it's the lens that needs service and not the camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ScottyP
Authority
Something to do with autofocus I'd think. What AF mode are you in? Have you had this problem in bright sunlight, or only in dim lighting?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I think I tried everything. I have a Rebel for Dummies book so I know a smidgeon probably enough to get me in trouble. I was trying in dim lighting.

Thank you,Craymond

If the camera is in the factory default "One Shot" mode, then it will not take a picture UNLESS it can confirm that it was able to lock focus on a subject.  No focus... no photograph.

If, however, you flip that little switch on the side of your lens that says "AF/MF" to the "MF" position (that's "Manual Focus" and the AF is "Automatic Focus") THEN you get an exception... in the "MF" position the camera is willing to take a photograph regardless of whether it thinks the image is focused or not... it doesn't care.  By flicking that little switch to the "MF" position you've told the camera that YOU will take care of the focus and it's not to consider focus at all.

If the camera WILL take a photograph (even if it's blurry) when the lens is in the "MF" position then it means the reason it wasn't taking a photo before is due to it's inability to focus.

There can be a few reasons why a camera might not focus.

1)  Not enough light:  To test this situation... just go to a place where there is plenty of light.  Like... outside during the middle of the day.

2)  A problem with one of the focus systems.  It turns out your camera actually has two different (totally independent) focus systems.  One is used when you are looking through the viewfinder to compose the shot.  The other is used if you use the live-view screen to compose the shot.  The reason there are two different systems is because your camera has a mirror inside.  When you look through the viewfinder you are actually looking through the lens.  To do this, they have to place a mirror between the lens and sensor so you can look through the same lens the camera is using.  But that mirror blocks all light from reaching the sensor.  So they actually a focus system that doesn't use the sensor and can focus when the mirror is in the way (the mirror actually bounces some of the light into the focus sensors).  When the mirror is flipped out of the way (for live-view shooting) it obviously cannot flip any light into that special focusing sensor.  So instead it uses the camera's imaging sensor to work out the focus.  

The two systems are independent and the only thing in common is that they both send instructions to the lens to move the focus in or out.    If one focus system isn't working... try the other (test focus looking through the viewfinder... and test focus by using "live view" mode (not looking through the viewfinder.)

3)  But that brings us to the third possible problem:  The lens.  The focus motors (for any Canon camera) are in the lens... not in the camera.  The camera merely sends instructions to the lens telling it which way to adjust the focus and how far.  If there's a problem with the lens, then it can fail to focus... even if there's absolutely nothing wrong with the camera itself.

If you have a different lens, you can swap lenses and see if the camera still has a focus problem.  If it only has a focus problem with one particular lens... it's the lens that needs service and not the camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Yeah! You nailed it. When I switched to manual focus on my lens it worked. your information on achieving focus gave me a great deal to think about and learn and do. I'm back in the saddle again and i appreciate your help.
Thank you,Craymond

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Very first thing is to reset the camera back to factory defaults.  Clear all settings, remove the battery overnight.

Second you need to make sure the battery and the charger are working properly.  This is basic but needs to be done.

And last get a NEW high quality SD card that is fromatted by the camera, nothing else.

Try again, with the camera on the green square and go outside with good daylight.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements