cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a Rebel XT. Whenever I try to download the photos to my PC(Windows 7) I get 100 folders!!

Clickerman
Apprentice

I have a Rebel XT. Whenever I try to download the photos to my PC(Windows 7) I get 100 folders!! Usually only 2 or 3 of these actually have photos.  It takes a tedious amount of time for all the folders to populate before I can begin moving the photos out of them on my computer. 

Is there a better way?  I have searched the cannon site and the net for a down load utility but it seems that Cannon wants to rely on the WIndow appliction.  

Any ideas or suggestions?  

(Waiting....wainting....waiting....)

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I suggest you remove all the photos from the card and reformat it in the camera.

Thanks KV! That makes a lot of sense...  How do you reformat a card - is the function in the camera or do you do it on the PC?

@Clickerman wrote:

Thanks KV! That makes a lot of sense...  How do you reformat a card - is the function in the camera or do you do it on the PC?

It's an option in the camera menus. But it's hard to believe that formatting the card will solve your problem. The suggestion presupposes that you've managed to create a bunch of spurious folders on the card itself, and that seems highly unlikely.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Seems the easiest thing to try.

@Clickerman wrote:

I have a Rebel XT. Whenever I try to download the photos to my PC(Windows 7) I get 100 folders!! Usually only 2 or 3 of these actually have photos.  It takes a tedious amount of time for all the folders to populate before I can begin moving the photos out of them on my computer. 

Is there a better way?  I have searched the cannon site and the net for a down load utility but it seems that Cannon wants to rely on the WIndow appliction.  

Any ideas or suggestions?  

(Waiting....wainting....waiting....)

Windows wouldn't do that by default. Are you sure you're not using Canon's EOS Utility? It has various options for naming the image files and assigning them to folders, which are described in the EOSU manual.

That said, get a card reader. They're inexpensive and easy to use. Trying to download images directly from the camera, especially from an old camera like the XT, is a fool's errand.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob,  I dont think I'm using the utility.  I have looked every where on the web for that down load, have you found it?  

I think I will take your suggestion of geting a card reader, that does sound like the path of least resistance.  

Thansk! 

Bob,  I don't think I'm using the utility.  I have looked every where on the web for that down load, have you found it?  

I think I will take your suggestion of geting a card reader, that does sound like the path of least resistance.  

Thanks! 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements