cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a ESO Rebel T3i camera I was wondering what is the best lens for zooming far.

kim225
Contributor

What is the best lens for zooming far when trying to capture your child in a play or on stage performing?

17 REPLIES 17

Hi Kim. 

1. What lens(es) do you currently have?

2. Based on your current shooting, what percentage of total photography will the "new" interest be?

The 70-200mm f/4L and the 85mm f/1.8 are excellent lenses, capable of professional quality 13x19 (and larger) prints. But, you stated that your intended use is Facebook and some digital images (which I'm assuming would be emailed files). Depending on the answers to the above those lenses might be more than you need. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I had my camera for 2 yrs now I am still learning it  some pictures come out blurry. The lens that came with my camera is EFS 18-55MM Image Stabilizer Macro 0.25m/0.8ft. I am looking for something to capture of my children. My son will be graduating in 2018 then my daugther 3 yrs later and son who is only 7 now. I want something with a good quality to capture their pictures but at the same time a good lens to invest in.

The 18-55mm lens that comes with most T3i kits is most useful for introducing you to a DSLR, not so useful for taking great pictures.  The only good pictures that I ever shot with mine were taken in bright sunlight.

DSLRs have a variety of lenses available because no one lens is ideal for any purpose.  I would definitely look to replace that 18-55mm kit lens with something better before too long.  Having a good wide angle zoom is invaluable.  The single best thing about the 18-55mm kit lens is that it is small enough not to cast a shadow when you use the built-in flash.

Your camera works with either EF or EF-S lenses.  With the exception of a wide angle lens, I would recommend only buying EF lenses.  There are some pretty good EF-S lenses, out there to be had, though.  Canon's best cameras cannot use EF-S lenses, just EF lenses.  Deciding on what lens series you want to invest in is something to consider, if a camera upgrade could be in your future.  I also think most EF lenses are generally better made than most EF-S lenses.

For your immediate question, I still think the EF 70-200mm f/4L lens will do a great job.  But, it could be a little long [too much focal length] for many general shooting scenarios.  The EF 85mm f/1.8 is a good lens for a full frame, but I think the EF 50mm f/1.4 may work better on your T3i, if paired with the 70-200mm f/4L.  Even the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM would work with it.  [A really good wide angle for a Rebel is the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens.]

But,, this still leaves the you with no replacement for the 18-55mm lens for now.  Remember, most of the zoom lenses being suggested will not work with the built-in flash.  They're too big.  The flash doesn't raise up high enough to clear most lenses, just the shortest ones out there that have fairly narrow barrels.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

For Video or for stills?

I had pretty good luck with my 70-300, but it did not focus nery well and the IS was pretty noisy on the video. The stage was pretty well lit, too.

The 55-250 mentioned will work very well with video.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
What is your end use? Digital frame, Facebook or large prints.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Alot of digital use and facebook.

What is AF on this lens Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III AF Zoom Telephoto Lens?

AFAIK, all the 7X-300 lenses just use the old fashioned USM motor, not STM or the newer USM like on the EF-S 55-250.

Announcements