cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a Canon T3i and when I take pics in auto mode all my pics look a little washed out.

jazzman1
Rising Star

If I put my camera in P mode, put the white balance in "cloudy" (even in sunlight) ISO setting "100", Picture style to "landscape", My pics look better, have more color saturation, more to my liking.  Guess my question is, is there any way to make adjustments in auto mode, to attain the results in my pics that I get when using the "P Mode"?  It seems to be the same for any lens I use, though usally use my Canon 18-55mm kit lens.   I've taken samples of the same scene in Auto, then P mode and the difference looks dramatic.  Is there any way to change default settings in Auto Mode to resolve this?  And if not, why would canon set the default settings to get such poor results?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Because I gave up on Auto a very long time ago for the same reasons you're having troubles I don't know whether or not they've improved how well it works. IF you get better results in PROGRAM mode (which you can also fine tune to be even better results) then I suspect it's working as designed. IN MY OPINION Canon shouldn't give buyers of a DSLR the Auto setting. Most first time buyers spend a lot of time earning the money needed to buy their first DSLR & think they can skip learning how to use it by choosing the Auto Mode. To me that's a foolish move. Spend 10% of the time it took to earn the money reading the manual & practicing the things it's trying to explain.

One other thing that may help is to watch this a few times

http://www.canonoutsideofauto.ca/

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

cicopo
Elite

Think of it this way. Auto is the most useless of modes because it takes a photo according to the softwares interpretation of the scene. You have no say in what settings it will use because they can't be fine tuned. Auto is the mode you set the camera to when handing it to someone who knows nothing about photography or your camera but who can press the shutter button & take your photo because you've explained how to do it. Program is for you to start with, experiment with & expand your skill sets from. You have the manual, it explains all the stuff the stranger didn't read nor understand but who could take a photo using Auto.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for your input cicopo.  I agree with what you've said.  I'm a newbie with DSLR'S and just starting to get into manual settings.  But guess I was'nt totally clear in my question.  I was wondering if my results in auto mode is normal, or does it need some adjustment.  I do intend to start doing more manual settings.  I have always had Canon gear over the years and this T3i is the 1st Canon Camera that I'm disatisfied with in auto mode in every picture no matter the scene.  Since you say settings in auto cannot be changed that's a rap on that.   My camera is fairly new and I was wondering if it's defective because of the sorry results in auto.  Thanks for your insight cicopo.

Forgot to say............My camera is still under warranty, and I was wondering if I should send it to Canon for repair if it is defective, that's why my question.

Because I gave up on Auto a very long time ago for the same reasons you're having troubles I don't know whether or not they've improved how well it works. IF you get better results in PROGRAM mode (which you can also fine tune to be even better results) then I suspect it's working as designed. IN MY OPINION Canon shouldn't give buyers of a DSLR the Auto setting. Most first time buyers spend a lot of time earning the money needed to buy their first DSLR & think they can skip learning how to use it by choosing the Auto Mode. To me that's a foolish move. Spend 10% of the time it took to earn the money reading the manual & practicing the things it's trying to explain.

One other thing that may help is to watch this a few times

http://www.canonoutsideofauto.ca/

Hi cicopo.

I'll take your suggestion and work with my manual controls and assume for the time being my camera is ok.  Far as you wishing Canon would'nt make "auto settings" in their DSLR's....I probably would'nt have bought one if they did'nt.  I suppose many others newbies would'nt either, and Canon would lose many sales.  I always had the intentions to graduate to manual settings, but wanted to use auto during that ongoing process.   To many newbies like myself, SLR's were intimidating.   I've used point and shoot Canons camera's for many years.   I now own the Canon SX60, and have owned the SX50, and the SX40 before that one.  Had lesser quality P&S before those.  I wanted to get into SLR's years ago, but felt they were too much of a hassle with developing film and stuff.  Then came DSLR, SD cards, instant access to pics, Pc's and printers, and I decided to take the plunge.  Through suggestions to go manual from you and others I'm making that move now.  I do understand your point of view and I agree I should take the manual route and will.   It's the only way to progress in photography.  But I'm not sure I would have bought a DSLR at all had it not had auto mode I could start off with.  

Thanks cicopo, I'll be reading you.

As long as they include Program Mode the jump from a P & S is still just a baby step. I shot film SLR's & switched to DSLR's in 04 and have a lot of money tied up in Canon gear & use Tv, Av & manual for lots of stuff but I also use P mode & Exposure Compensation just as often. It really doesn't take very long to get a handle on which mode suits a situation.

Hi cicopo.

I agree with what you're saying here.  I'm into Program mode right now, and will be working with manual and other modes from here.  I'm learning, and I'm also using my Canon SX60 Bridge Camera, as well as my Canon G20 Camcorder.  Also just getting into video editing.  Would be faster learning my Rebel DSLR, if it was the only gear I was using right now.  But it is what it is, and I'm going along best as I can.  One thing, you and others here are giving me much needed help, I thank you guys.   One thing I'm realising is here everyone is only talking about Canon gear and solutions.  On the other sites I've been trying to learn from there's way too much debate over what's the best brand camera, best brand lens, best mm, etc.  They debate tests, charts, and other electronic testing, hands on test also, about the virtues of whatever brand each one has and try to promote.  For me that's really not what I need right now, guees threre's a place and time for it though,.  Canon is my brand of gear, least ways for the near future, and i mainly want to learn how to get the best from my gear and sharpen my skills.

I'll be reading you cicopo

A good mechanic always gets the best from his tools. The brand of camera or tools aren't the deciding factor in what can be accomplished when you know how to use what's available at the time you need them. I shoot Canon because it has the lenses & accessories to fit my needs better than the other brands but I can make any brand work once I understand it's controls & menues.

cicopo

I follow you my friend, loud and clear.

Announcements