cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I get an err 20 on my Rebel T3, what should I do?

Biglou
Apprentice
Rebel T3
2 REPLIES 2

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The error indicates a mechanical malfunction in the camera.  

See:  http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/eos_error_msgs.shtml

Note that the error message isn't specific... but there are only a few "mechanical" componenets in the camera (such as the reflex mirror and the focal plane shutter... but it could also be the mechanical aperture on the lens (and this is more common.)

If you have another lens you can use to test, try swapping lenses... this would help isolate the issue to a particular lens if that is the problem.

If you do _not_ have another lens, just remove the lens from the body, power up the camera (with no lens... the camera should work without a lens attached) and test the camera by taking a shot without a lens attached to verify you are no longer getting an error (the image will, of course, just be a rectangle of light... you're just doing this to test the mirror and shutter mechanism without the lens to see if the camera still complains.)

If not the lens, it would probably be the reflex mirror (the camera has another error for the focal plane shutter.)  But if it turns out to be inside the camera body (reflex mirror or shutter) you'd want to contact Canon for help with that lens.

Assuming this is a "kit" lens, If it does turn out to be the lens, you might shop replacement lens prices before having your current lens repaired..  The cost of a "kit" lens is low enough that a used or refurbished lens would likely be less than the cost of a repair.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim - I have a Rebal T3i.  I am getting ERR 20 as well.  I have cleaned all of the contacts.  I have taken my lens off and it will take a photo.   I have tried two different lenses, and while they both will autofocus neither will take a picture (I get ERR 20).  Any more ideas on what I can do?

Additional data - Prior t to the ERR message, I had been taking pictures in a moist environment, and it suddenly would not turn on.  All it would do was beep when I pushed and button.  I put the camera in a bag of rice for over a week, and when I took it out it would power up again, just not take photos.

Thanks,

Jeff

Announcements