cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I find that my pictures are very noisy even in the focus area

KLM2801
Contributor

I find that my pictures are noisy to look at in the focus area in 100% and worse in 200% zoom.
I see it even with low ISO (ISO100) and using tripod.

Am I just expecting too much of a Rebel?

I shoot in manual mode, usually with auto focus in RAW.

I have a Canon T6s with the following lenses: Canon 50mm f1/4, 24-70mm f2/8L and 70-200mm f2/8L. The noise is there using all the lenses.

Should add that the Canon Service Center as looked at it and found that the adjustment of the AF assembly was incorrect, causing the focus to operate improperly. They made Electrical adjustments on the AF assembly. But I just can't see the difference on my photos before and now.

I have attached a few examples:Fam_focuspoints.jpgFam_zoom100.jpgFam_zoom200.jpgRose_9643_focuspoints.jpgRose_9643_zoom100.jpgRose_9643_zoom200.jpgT_focuspoints.jpgT_zoom100.jpgT_zoom200.jpg

19 REPLIES 19

Seems good to me.

You could have exposured 1/3 step more with the flower picture and after that in your raw converter pull down 1/3 step to collect more photons. I don't really think you would notice the gain of it.

If you change camera to one with a bigger sensor you will be able to recive more photons. If you like the image noise from my 6D maybe a 5DsR is the right step for you. You will find my raw file at http://kameratrollet.se/allt/_MG_3631.CR2

-

_MG_3631.jpg

I know, that I have a lot to learn!

I wanted to make sure that my camera works as it should, after returning from Canon Service Center. They made adjustments, I just can't tell.

If the noise I am seeing is due to my technique or lack of, I can deal with that and try and get better. I just don’t want the camera to be working against me, I want sharp photos!

I definitely see a lot less noise in you photo Peter! So it is not my screen! And I might be expecting too much of my Rebel camera.

Are you sure you are not confusing the two issues here. Noise and sharpness?  Of course nothing in photography can be taken by itself as everything effects everything else.  A properly or correctly photo will display less nose than one that is underexposed.  This is generally the case when folks push the ISO up.  There isn't enough light in the first place.

The lenses you have are among the best you can buy.  There isn't much room for improvement there.  DOF is just one spec to consider. Too much emphasis on a single spec won't solve your issues.

A full frame camera, I.E., a 5Ds will make your posters look better.  Will  they be where you want them?  Only you can tell that.

Also, where and how you are achieving the posters is a big point to consider.

How experienced with LR and PS are you?  There are tricks you can do to help make the photos and thus the prints look better.  No matter what anybody tries to tell you great photos are made in post.  Always exceptions but not many. Post is where it's at.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The picture of the boys has just the shorter boy in focus.  There is some CA going on and it will make noise look worse.

I can not tell exactly where the critical focus point is in the magenta flower petal.

Here is Peter's photo blown up the same 200%.  Is this what you like?  I am sure Peter did all the post editing the photo needed.

200_MG_3631.jpg

Not a great deal of difference is there?  There is a slight amount of CA (purple) but at 200% it is darn good.

At normal it is non-existent.

EB

"... I might be expecting too much of my Rebel camera."

Possibly, but even the best in the world ef 70-200mm f2.8L II lens is even better when not at full aperture.  Try to keep it at f4 or better f5.6.  Also, not too close. The closer you are to the subject won't be the best place.  All lenses have their "sweet spot".  A point where everything is right with creation.

EB

I know that there are many factors to consider and that I can’t only focus on one. I know noise is one thing and sharpness another but again two factors that influence each other or that is how I see it.

I have done no post editing to any of these photos but I always do, I feel that I have to use NR almost every time so if it is not the camera then I must be doing something wrong. I know my lenses are great.

I have used PS for a long time mostly for web graphics, I am new to LR, but I find it easier than PS to make quick edits to photos.

It is a jungle out there in regards to printing or actually, it is not, you just have to be willing to pay. And I know the posters I did, was not printed in the best of quality! I do take that into account.

Yes, the shorter boy is in focus, but there is also focus points on the taller one, which you can’t tell from the picture. That is maybe my aperture that is at fault.

I am aware that lenses perform better when not in full aperture, but I have seen many good examples in full aperture especially with my lenses. So there are rules of thumb and sometimes when you break them, it is OK too.

Yes, I like Perter’s shot in 100% and 200%, I can’t get that result with post editing, but again I might not be doing it right.

MY CONCLUSION is; that you guys, who have responded to my post (I thank you for your time and insight) see issues with techniques and not the camera.

Thank you all for your input!

"MY CONCLUSION is; that you guys, who have responded to my post (I thank you for your time and insight) see issues with techniques and not the camera." 

I think "issues" is too strong a word.  I think practice and experience would be a better way to say it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Whenever I want to be certain of critically sharp focus, I always manually focus by using LiveView on a tripod.  I have found that the AF system can get it very close, but not always, tack sharp at 200%.

The shot of the flowers is practically a macro shot.  Macro shots should be manually focused.  In fact, those flowers would have looked even better had you taken a series of macro-like shots, each focusing on a slightly different distance from the camera, and stacked them.  Below is a link for to an online tool for calculating depth of  field.

http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html

I have found that online DOF tool to be invaluable when planning many shots.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Think about it. at 100% zoom you are seeing a 1-1 relationship of pixels to screen. At 200 % the computer has to fill in half the data. You are testing your computer's interpolation, not your camera.

Peter
Authority
Authority

Clarkvision has some good stuff to read for Canon owners. Take your time and check that website.

And even I use noise reduction at low ISO. Mostly because I will get smaller jpg file sizes.

Announcements