cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use nikon lens on canon body.

BestUps
Apprentice

Hello,
Got really hard time figuring this out, which adapter ring is needed in my case,
recentry bought Canon 200d body and wanted to use two lens with nikon F mount on it
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm 1:1.8G DX
and
TAMRON AF 70-300MM F/4-5.6 DI LD MACRO (NIKON)
as I'm new to canon, would really prefer to use direct links, thank for all advices.

22 REPLIES 22

lly3988
Rising Star
Emf chip attached to the adapter is programmable. But not all af confirmation chips are emf version.

Also even emf chips have different generations. Those designed for 5d2 will not necessarily work on 5d3. Check before you order.

Of course you can shoot in live view mode and chip isn't necessary but then you have no record of the data.

@lly3988 wrote:
Emf chip attached to the adapter is programmable. But not all af confirmation chips are emf version.

Also even emf chips have different generations. Those designed for 5d2 will not necessarily work on 5d3. Check before you order.

Of course you can shoot in live view mode and chip isn't necessary but then you have no record of the data.

In other words, the 2 out of 5 star rating is well earned.  

The readings come from the adapter, which you have to program, and will always provide the same aperture and focal length data, no matter which lens you use it with.  Thanks, for the heads up.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Different links have different rating scales. It's quite subjective.

More money = better quality but sometimes not quite so.

Dishonest sellers may bring bad experience. Years ago, I paid $80 for an adapter ( via amazon) but they gave me a lower end product. I rated them lowest despite they refunded me fully. It was wasting my time. After two years I bought the same one from eBay and paid only $25. I still have it on my lens very secure.

BTW, adapters are very cheap (each around $20 with chip) nowadays and their quality is usually very good, so why bother switch them over.

Final word, adapted lens is not the mainstream.  For those who cannot afford a Zeiss, there are options out there with a lot less.

"Final word, adapted lens is not the mainstream."

Add to the fact no Nikon lens out performs its Canon counterpart enough to justify using adapters.  Giving up all the features like AF and aperture control, EXIF reporting isn't worth the trouble.  Now add the fact that some cheap adapters can damage the camera.  IMHO, it is dumb but that's just me.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Final word, adapted lens is not the mainstream."

Add to the fact no Nikon lens out performs its Canon counterpart enough to justify using adapters.  Giving up all the features like AF and aperture control, EXIF reporting isn't worth the trouble.  Now add the fact that some cheap adapters can damage the camera.  IMHO, it is dumb but that's just me.

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Nikon/AF-S-DX-NIKKOR-35-mm-f-1.8G-mounted-on-Nikon-D3300__928

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Canon/Canon-EF-35mm-F2-IS-USM-mounted-on-Canon-EOS-100D__871

I have Nikon 35mm f1.8 atm so that is why I look for options with canon body.
Also Canon lack 35mm as canon's equivalent to nikon, is four times more expensive, step darker and canon lack auto/manual mode, that let user to adjust focus on top of autofocus with shutter buton half pressed.

Wanted also to thank everyone who spend there time and responce in this topic.

Spend a few bucks and try one if you have the len. But it looks like that your lenses have no aperture ring and you can't control the aperture as well.

Youtube has a lot of resources about this subject. There are people with experience and they will show you how.

" Nikon 35mm f1.8 atm"

Well I have no idea what lens that is. I do own and shoot Nikon.  But, I have the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S ED NIKKOR Lens.  I will still tell you it is no better than my Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Lens.  Actually it isn't as good.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" Nikon 35mm f1.8 atm"

Well I have no idea what lens that is. I do own and shoot Nikon.  But, I have the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S ED NIKKOR Lens.  I will still tell you it is no better than my Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Lens.  Actually it isn't as good.

The EF 35mm f/2 IS USM is an excellent lens.  I like photographing landscapes and cityscapes with it.

It is one of my favorite lenses to use on those days when I give myself a photography assignment, like spending part of a day only photographing blue stuff, or only square or round stuff.  Shooting with a prime for a day forces me to think about composition, instead of just standing around and twisting a zoom ring.  

These self imposed assignments have gotten me in the habit of seeing the world differently and taking shots that I would have otherwise totally overlooked.  I think every photo enthusiast should have a fast prime in their lens kit.  They not only do they take great photos, but they are a great learning tool.  

A lens like the EF 50 f/1.8 STM should be in every photographer’s bag.  Not only is it less expensive than most photography classes, it is something that you would want to have, anyway, if you did take a photography class.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Well I have no idea what lens that is.

Atm stands for commony used term, at the moment.

Link to described lens is in same post you quote half sentence from, and yes 4 times more expensive lens will be better, those linked lab tests show it, one true megapixel more for four ties more expensive lens, step darker, without auto/manual mode.

lly3988
Rising Star
Btw. Programming the chips is quite easy. You can even configurate the focus +- confirm etc
Announcements