cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use nikon lens on canon body.

BestUps
Apprentice

Hello,
Got really hard time figuring this out, which adapter ring is needed in my case,
recentry bought Canon 200d body and wanted to use two lens with nikon F mount on it
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm 1:1.8G DX
and
TAMRON AF 70-300MM F/4-5.6 DI LD MACRO (NIKON)
as I'm new to canon, would really prefer to use direct links, thank for all advices.

22 REPLIES 22

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think that is not going to work, because of the focusing distance between the lens and image sensor.

When you mount an adapter on a lens, it increases the distance between the lens and image sensor.  As long as the mount on the camera has a distance between the lens and the sensor, that is longer than the mount of the lens that you are adapting, then everything is fine.  

In other words, if the lens that you wish to adapt focuses longe than the what the lens mount on the camera needs, then the extra distance helps the lens that you are adapting, because you are moving it away from the sensor, giving it the extra distance that the lens needs.

Canon EF lenses require a longer distance between lens and image sensor than most other mounts.  For example, inserting an adapter between a Sony body and a Canon lens, helps the lens to focus because the Sony mount is shorter.  A Nikon mount is shorter than what a Canon lens needs, so the extra distance of an adapter doesn't impact the lens' ability to focus.

However, when you use a lens that focuses shorter than a Canon lens, then you have a major problem.  The Nikon lens needs a shorter distance between lens and image sensor.  Installing an adapter only increases that distance, instead of shortening it. 

For this reason, you will not find a passive adapter for Nikon to Canon.  If you do find an adapter, there will be lens elements in the adapter to compensate, and make the correction, for the Nikon lens having a shorter focusing distance to the image sensor.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Forget it.  It won't work and if it did it would not work well. It is possible to design an adapter but you will not be able to focus to infinity.

However, you can use Nikon lenses on a Canon.  They must be the older F mount, though.  Not the current G mount.

There is an adapter that fits between the lens and the camera and allows the two incompatible pieces to work together. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

There are G(D type) adapter available. They exist for quite a long time.G.jpg

@lly3988 wrote:

There are G(D type) adapter available. They exist for quite a long time.G.jpg

Manual focus.  No aperture setting info, much less control of aperture.  Not robust enough for heavier, professional grade lenses.

Rated 2 out of 5 stars: source B&H.

lly3988
Rising Star

It is possible to mount Nikkon lens to Canon EOS cameras. Adapters are available online and in most camera stores.

For older Nikon(nikkor) lenses with aperture ring, you absolutely have no problem using them on your 200D. Set the camera to AV and the camera will be able to meter properly. Focus to infinity is possible in most case even when you use a $10 adapter.

But remember, the use of nikon lens with adaper will not allow auto focus. Nikon lenses focus by wire is not useable for obvious reason. No aperture ring on your nikon lens ? you may have to choose an adapter with built in aperture control.

I have used a lot of vintage lenses on my Canon FF and APSC cameras with no problem. However, when you decide to use them on your FF bodies, check and make sure that the rear end will not hit the mirros. There are websites with info about this.

I played a lot with vintage lenses and it was fun. They may create some images with artistic effects. Buy in most cases, they are not vey sharp and have less contrast when compare to original Canon lenses.

A faster Nikkor 50mm f1.4 is not better than a Canon 50mm f1.8. (any version)

All in all, some older models of nikon lenses are useable on Canon bodies and if you have inherited them from your grandpa or acquired a few of them form garage sale, go ahead and have fun with them. They won't kill your camera. As a general rule here, I would stress that Canon lenses are the way to go. But, of course, not the only way.

Finally, your 2 nikon lenses may not work on Canon bodies.

"But remember, the use of nikon lens with adaper will not allow auto focus." read my post.

EMF chip may be installed to record aperture setting.

Of course, automatic aperture diaphragm, auto-focusing will not operate while using this adapter. It is basically for manual focus lenses.

As for quality, if one is serious about using their F mount lenses on Canon DSLRs, there are always better quality adapters out there with higher price and much better rating.

BTW, just to clarify that there is no need to have correction element(s) on the adapter to make a Nikon F mount lens to be adapted. For a Canon FD lens adapted to EF, YES. But not a Nikon F mount.

@lly3988 wrote:

"But remember, the use of nikon lens with adaper will not allow auto focus." read my post.

EMF chip may be installed to record aperture setting.

Of course, automatic aperture diaphragm, auto-focusing will not operate while using this adapter. It is basically for manual focus lenses.

Manual lenses do not provide EXIF data.  You have to program the adapter to provide the information.  Nobody’s fooled.

lly3988
Rising Star

Just to post a pic taken with a Nikkor 55mm f3.5 micro mounted on a 30D. Aperture value was recorded.IMG_3042.jpgmicro 30D.jpg

The camera and lens has no resale value but there are funs to play with them. And this one too.

IMG_3046 - Copy.jpg

@lly3988 wrote:

Just to post a pic taken with a Nikkor 55mm f3.5 micro mounted on a 30D. Aperture value was recorded.IMG_3042.jpgmicro 30D.jpg

The camera and lens has no resale value but there are funs to play with them. And this one too.

IMG_3046 - Copy.jpg

Enjoy it.  I’ll pass.  As you said, there is no control of aperture.  

Announcements