cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to increase the time the viewfinder display is turned on (T3i/600D)

Nuwanda
Contributor

Hi!

This seems like a very basic question, but after searching the manual and the web, I still can't find an answer.

When I half-press and release the shutter button, the camera turns on the display on the viewfinder that shows the shutter speed, aperture, exposure level indicator and ISO speed. But it automatically turns off after about 4 seconds. I've looked through all the menus and I can't find how to increase this timeout so the information is shown for a longer period of time.

Help?

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I don't believe that is an adjustable value.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I don't believe that is an adjustable value.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Neither do I.

But, I thought it only shut off when you pressed the shutter button again?  I have forgot but I can look at my son's T3i and see.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Neither do I.

But, I thought it only shut off when you pressed the shutter button again?  I have forgot but I can look at my son's T3i and see.

No, if I half-press and release the shutter button again, it resets the timeout and the display on the viewfinder won't turn off for another 4 seconds or so.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the main 3'' LCD display (which I only use to review photos, not to shoot). I'm talking about the display on the viewfinder that only shows shutter speed, aperture, exposure indicator, ISO, and a few other things like an asterisk for exposure lock or a circle for focus lock.

I would really appreciate it if you could see if it works the same way or if you can change it on your son's T3i.

You are talking inside the viewfinder?  OK, I msiunderstood, no, I believe that is normal and is not an adjustable feature.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

😞

OK, thank you both for your help!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
You actually control the "on time" to any value you want by keeping your finger on the shutter button.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
You actually control the "on time" to any value you want by keeping your finger on the shutter button.

I find it awkward to change the exposure while keeping my finger on the shutter button. I am a beginner that just started using Manual mode. It takes me a while to get the exposure metering to where I want it to be, and it's annoying that it turns off long before I get it to where I want.

I have a T5i, so I am not sure its exactly the same as your camera, but in Manual mode, as long as I am turning the main control dial (one near shutter button) the viewfinder display stays on.If I stop, then the timer kicks in again.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I have a T5i, so I am not sure its exactly the same as your camera, but in Manual mode, as long as I am turning the main control dial (one near shutter button) the viewfinder display stays on.If I stop, then the timer kicks in again.

The same happens on the T3i. I guess this will be enough once I practice and get faster (since people shoot in Manual mode and don't complain about this). Thanks!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements