cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to focus for videos

cma6
Contributor

I created my first videos but all were out of focus. What is recommended focus setting for videos?

Thanks, CMA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would just AF in live view first and then switch to Video mode and start recording the video. You can also AF in Video mode before you start recording.

Using an aperture of f/8 or f/11 gives you more depth of field and keeps more of the scene in focus. 

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Too many variables to answer. I usually use the auto setting and tap the screen on my T6S to focus at a point if necessary. What camera do you have?

Hi KV:

Thanks most kindly for the prompt answer. I have the Rebel T2i/550D. Since I bought it on 4/2010, I have used this fine camera in AV mode on a tripod exclusively for still shots for my website   www.vintagetextile.com

I have yet to use Live Mode, though I will look into that tomorrow. I was able to make a short video today by pressing the movie button in movie mode. But whatever other focus settings I tried did not help in getting the video into focus.

"use the auto setting and tap the screen on my T6S to focus at a point if necessary"

Which auto setting?

Thanks, CMA

The default auto mode. I suggest you read your manual about live view focus. Don't expect Miracles.

The Rebel T2i is not able to Auto Focus while recording video.   You must pre-focus before you start recording video.  If you need to change the focus point while recording video, it must be done manually. 

Mike Sowsun

"The Rebel T2i is not able to Auto Focus while recording video.   You must pre-focus before you start recording video.  If you need to change the focus point while recording video, it must be done manually. "

Thanks, Mike, that is just what I wanted to know. What is your recommendation for how to pre-focus on the subject, e.g., what mode to go into first and how to do it, since I have always used AF?

I would just AF in live view first and then switch to Video mode and start recording the video. You can also AF in Video mode before you start recording.

Using an aperture of f/8 or f/11 gives you more depth of field and keeps more of the scene in focus. 

Mike Sowsun

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

If you're shooting video in auto exposure mode you might want to consider using manual exposure if that's available on your camera.

If the camera is trying to shoot at wider apertures that's going to give shallow DOF and make it difficult to hold focus with changes in the distance to your subject. Try manually setting aperture to f5.6 or f8 to get more DOF. Depending on the lighting you may also have to adjust shutter speed and ISO rating as well.

Thanks for the excellent advice. I will experiment with this. 

One issue I had today was trying to change f/stop from the standard f/8.0 that I use in my standard Av mode.

To change a setting such as f/stop, whether in whatever creative mode or in Live View, do I first have to go to Manual exposure? Is that a setting reached only by changing on the lens itself?

No, it depends on the camera mode. Aperture can only be changed in Manual or AV mode.

Announcements