cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to cut the image files from memory card instead of copy them?

hKuenph
Enthusiast

Camera : EOS Rebel T6s

I prefer having the memory card empty so I do not worry about whether there is enough space of the card when I am out shooting in the mountains.  It seems the T6s can only download which is actually copy the image files from the memory card.

How to cut down the image files from the memory card?

Thank you.

Kuenph

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You can either reformat the card after downloading or choose the Erase Images option in the menu.

Thisin't from your camera manual, but the menu is similar in yours.

2019-01-25.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you.  Yes, this is what I do now, formating the card after downloading the files.

Appreciate your help.

@hKuenph wrote:

Thank you.  Yes, this is what I do now, formating the card after downloading the files.

Appreciate your help.

Maybe, just maybe, they do not make it all that convenient to automatically delete files because it could easily lead to frequent mistakes, and lost image files.  I would think that Canon not including an “auto delete” feature was done on purpose.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you.  Yes, I believe it is Canon's goodwill to avoid deleting image by mistake.  

Appreciate.

@hKuenph wrote:

Appreciate your help.

Don't do that either. Don't delete any "keepers" from the card until the files have been stored on a computer and on at least one backup device. Cards are relatively cheap. Re-shoots often are not.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you.  Image files go to 2 locations when they are downloaded from camera, hard drive D and a portable hard drive. Image are copied from D to C drive when they are edited in C drive.  And the ones edited will go to the portable drive.

Appreciate your good advice.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It mainly depends on the software you are using. Image Capture on the Mac (and by extension Photos) gives you the option to delete upon import.

BUT DON"T DO IT!

Always make sure that the import went well - at the very least look at one of the images full size in some viewer before deleting them off the card. We have seen a lot of topics here like "I had the computer delete the images as I imported them, but they are corrupt. What do I do?"

for example:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Rebel/Video-on-EOS-Rebel-T7i/m-p/264917#M24567

Thank you.  Shall try Image Capture for Windows.

Appreciate your help.

Kuenph

There is no "Image Capture" for Windows. It is a part of MacOS.

Announcements