cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How important is IS?

hawksbjammin
Contributor

EOS Rebel T5 bundle with 2 lenses, etc. for $500 seems like a pretty good buy. 70-300 lens lacks IS. Getting the same basic stuff with IS lens would cost about $175 more. Bundle will be a gift for 14-year-old daughter - first "real" camera. Is getting IS worth the additional $$? Thanks for considering.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In my opinion, for a teenager's first camera I would not pay a 35% premium for an IS lens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

@hawksbjammin wrote:

Robert,

Here's the package I'm looking at - pretty sure it's all Canon stuff:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-eos-rebel-t5-dslr-camera-with-18-55mm-and-75-300mm-lenses-black/10...

Well, OK, but that package has a 75-300 lens, not the 70-300 you mentioned in your original article. They're different animals. And the two versions of the 75-300 differ from each other, as I read the specs, not in whether either has IS (neither does), but in the speed of the autofocus motor. My take would be that for your daughter's purposes, a faster autofocus motor would be worth more than IS. If that's actually the choice you're facing.

You'd better be sure you've done your homework before making a final decision.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

AHHHH!  It's the 75-300mm... 

Canon's 70-300's are pretty decent lenses.  But the 75-300 is an ecnonomically priced lens and they do (or rather don't do) a lot ot keep that price point low for entry-level use.  

The image quality (if compared to other zooms) will be the weakest in the line-up.  

The real question becomes... how will the camera be used (e.g. what are the typical types of subjects that it will be used for.)  If it were being purchased primarily for, say, birding... then that would imply the long telephoto zoom would live on the camera most of the time and you'd want to carefully consider the quality.  "Action" photography (sports, wildlife in action, etc.) are pretty demanding on equipment as well.  

But for typical every-day photography (indoor shots, shots out in the park, walking about town, vacations, etc.) then the long lens would probably only occasionally be used and it's not necessarily worthwile to spend a lot on a lens you hardly ever use (btw, you *can* rent lenses if you have an occasion for which you want to make sure you have good glass.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

15 REPLIES 15

Just saw this come up:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras/eos-sl1-18-55-...

It's a SL1, which is smaller than the normal rebels, but it's a better camera than the T5 that you're looking at.  And a 14 year old girl might like the smaller size.  It's refurbished, but comes straight from Canon with a full warranty.  I wouldn't recommend used, but I have no issue with refurbished.  Some do though.

It's only $350, with that savings you could buy the 55-250 too.  In fact, here's the previous generation of the lens for $130:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses/ef-s-55-250mm-f-4-56-is-...

And here's the latest version, with some improved optics (but work AF system in my opinion):

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses/ef-s-55-250mm-f4-5-6-is-...

AHHHH!  It's the 75-300mm... 

Canon's 70-300's are pretty decent lenses.  But the 75-300 is an ecnonomically priced lens and they do (or rather don't do) a lot ot keep that price point low for entry-level use.  

The image quality (if compared to other zooms) will be the weakest in the line-up.  

The real question becomes... how will the camera be used (e.g. what are the typical types of subjects that it will be used for.)  If it were being purchased primarily for, say, birding... then that would imply the long telephoto zoom would live on the camera most of the time and you'd want to carefully consider the quality.  "Action" photography (sports, wildlife in action, etc.) are pretty demanding on equipment as well.  

But for typical every-day photography (indoor shots, shots out in the park, walking about town, vacations, etc.) then the long lens would probably only occasionally be used and it's not necessarily worthwile to spend a lot on a lens you hardly ever use (btw, you *can* rent lenses if you have an occasion for which you want to make sure you have good glass.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks, very helpful.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

By all means make sure you are getting real Canon stuff.  Don't even consider any of the "packages" offered by some retailers that have off-brand lenses with them.  They are cheap for a reason.  Smiley Sad  Bad!

Now my take on whether you should buy IS or not buy IS.  If there is a lens out there and I want it, if it does NOT have IS, I will still buy it and give it no thought.  Remember for most of our photography shooting liftime, there was no IS.  We did just fine without it.  However, if that lens I am interested in has a twin brother, as many do, that has IS, I will always go for the one with IS.

IS is not and end all.  That is why it has a on and off switch.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Check this out.  Rebel T5 with kit lenses    <---click here.

This is just an example.  You can find this kit at several places.  Like Canon, Adorama, Best Buy, Cosco, etc.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

thanks, ebiggs1. The package I've been looking at is a bit different:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-eos-rebel-t5-dslr-camera-with-18-55mm-and-75-300mm-lenses-black/10...

It's also sold by several big-box retailers. I think my questionis whether I should give us IS on the smaller lens in the package you linked to in exchange for a larger lens and camera bag.

Announcements