cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How important is IS?

hawksbjammin
Contributor

EOS Rebel T5 bundle with 2 lenses, etc. for $500 seems like a pretty good buy. 70-300 lens lacks IS. Getting the same basic stuff with IS lens would cost about $175 more. Bundle will be a gift for 14-year-old daughter - first "real" camera. Is getting IS worth the additional $$? Thanks for considering.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In my opinion, for a teenager's first camera I would not pay a 35% premium for an IS lens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

@hawksbjammin wrote:

Robert,

Here's the package I'm looking at - pretty sure it's all Canon stuff:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-eos-rebel-t5-dslr-camera-with-18-55mm-and-75-300mm-lenses-black/10...

Well, OK, but that package has a 75-300 lens, not the 70-300 you mentioned in your original article. They're different animals. And the two versions of the 75-300 differ from each other, as I read the specs, not in whether either has IS (neither does), but in the speed of the autofocus motor. My take would be that for your daughter's purposes, a faster autofocus motor would be worth more than IS. If that's actually the choice you're facing.

You'd better be sure you've done your homework before making a final decision.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

AHHHH!  It's the 75-300mm... 

Canon's 70-300's are pretty decent lenses.  But the 75-300 is an ecnonomically priced lens and they do (or rather don't do) a lot ot keep that price point low for entry-level use.  

The image quality (if compared to other zooms) will be the weakest in the line-up.  

The real question becomes... how will the camera be used (e.g. what are the typical types of subjects that it will be used for.)  If it were being purchased primarily for, say, birding... then that would imply the long telephoto zoom would live on the camera most of the time and you'd want to carefully consider the quality.  "Action" photography (sports, wildlife in action, etc.) are pretty demanding on equipment as well.  

But for typical every-day photography (indoor shots, shots out in the park, walking about town, vacations, etc.) then the long lens would probably only occasionally be used and it's not necessarily worthwile to spend a lot on a lens you hardly ever use (btw, you *can* rent lenses if you have an occasion for which you want to make sure you have good glass.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

15 REPLIES 15

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In my opinion, for a teenager's first camera I would not pay a 35% premium for an IS lens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I'm having a little trouble figuring out what the options are. The Canon site lists three 70-300 lenses, two of them a good deal more expensive, but all with IS. Is the proposed lens a refurb? Or even not a Canon lens?

Bob

Robert,

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-eos-rebel-t5-dslr-camera-with-18-55mm-and-75-300mm-lenses-black/10...

@hawksbjammin wrote:

Robert,

Well, OK, but that package has a 75-300 lens, not the 70-300 you mentioned in your original article. They're different animals. And the two versions of the 75-300 differ from each other, as I read the specs, not in whether either has IS (neither does), but in the speed of the autofocus motor. My take would be that for your daughter's purposes, a faster autofocus motor would be worth more than IS. If that's actually the choice you're facing.

You'd better be sure you've done your homework before making a final decision.

Bob

There's more to the cost difference than IS alone. There are reviews of both here that may provide some guidance but considering it's a gift & maybe their first attempt at photography using a changable lens system they may very well just be happy with the extra range.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showcat.php/cat/27/page/2/sort/7/perpage/20/stype/

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you for replying. Very helpful.

Guess we're quickly uncovering my lack of camera knowledge (or even ability to accurately report what I'm looking at.) I appreciate your help very much.

"... we're quickly uncovering my lack of camera knowledge ..."

We were all there at one time!

The link I gave you and the package it offers is a way better deal and buy for you and your new photographer.  You are about to start her on a fantastic, either hobby or career.  She will be entering the wonderful world of phtography.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The package that eBiggs linked, with the 55 -250, is a far better lens, but unless there's a deal on it I'm not seeing the package is also 50% more than what you're looking at.  That's a significant difference in price.

If you are looking for something around the $500 mark you can get the same kit from B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1040758-REG/canon_eos_rebel_t5_dslr.html

I highly recommend buying from someone like B&H over Best Buy when it comes to camera equipment.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements