cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you take a picture of the moon using Canon - EOS Rebel T5 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm IS Lens ?

Miss2o9
Apprentice

How do you take a picture of the moon using a Canon EOS Rebel T5 DSLR camera with 18-55mm IS Lens?

Please can someone give me directions cause i have looked everywhere .?

26 REPLIES 26

You can get some very nice moon photos with other items in the foreground for context with a short lens but for detailed photos of the moon itself, focal length is your friend.  If you are using a shorter focal length lens like the 18-55 then try to compose a photo with interesting foreground items to tell a story.

These photos were shot with a Canon 1DX III using in order of photos: EF 800 f5.6 lens, EF 800 plus 1.4X, EF 800 plus 2X, and using a Celestron CPC 1100HD telescope as the camera lens (equivalent to a 2800MM f10 lens).

Rodger

Canon EF 800.JPG

Canon EF 800 plus 1.4X.JPG

Canon EF 800 plus 2X.JPG

Celestron 2400mm.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

You mean like this:

IMG_7652.jpg

Exactly!

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Here's my advice, pick up a used/refurbished SX50, 60 or 70HS and you can get stunning close-up shots of the moon at night and during the day when it is visible and at a fraction of the cost for a good long lens.

I believe I read somewhere that the moon is the most photographed subject on earth.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

What most people don't realize, it it is daylight on the Moon.  If it weren't you would not be able to see it. Anyway not as brightly as we know it.  The fact that it is dark here has no bearing on the Moon but somehow people relate to that darkness here.

You need a bigger lens, my friend!

True statement!  But there is a caveat.  Instead of the "Sunny 16" rule, the "Loony 11" rule compensates for an effect called "Atmospheric Extinction".

This is the notion that particles in the air are absorbing & scattering some of the light as it travels through our atmosphere.  It affects shorter wavelengths (blue light) more than long wavelengths (red light).  Which is why the Sun & Moon appear to be more orange-colored as they are rising or setting (more 'blue' light is subtracted from what we can see due to the effect.)

If an object is straight up (at the zenith) then light has to pass through 1x the height of the atmosphere.  But if the object is 30° above the horizon ... it has to travel through 2x the height of the atmosphere (or 2 air-masses).  The lower it is to the horizon, the more air it has to pass through.

So if the moon is just barely above the horizon ... a longer exposure (or bigger aperture) might be needed to compensate for the extra light being absorbed by the atmosphere.

Here's a link that talks about it:  https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-resources/transparency-and-atmospheric-extinction/

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

We should have ben together!  Smiley Happy

IMG_7652.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Found this interesting. Pressed for time but will come back and read the thread and replies.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
Announcements