cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i transfer pictures from my EOS Rebel t3i to my mac? Am getting error 30 when trying. Thanks!

gnunezpp
Apprentice

I own an EOS Rebel t3i and am having trouble trying to transfer my pictures to my mac. Computer recognizes the camera when i connect my canon to a usb port in the computer, but get error 30 when trying to import. I read somewhere that i have to change the communication settings in my camera to ptp but cannot find a "communication" option in my camera.

Any advice very welcome, thanks! 

6 REPLIES 6

Peter
Authority
Authority
A card reader.

amfoto1
Authority

I'd also recommend using a card reader. It's usually a lot faster and more reliable that trying to download through the USB cable.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The T3i is later model that doesn't have/need PTP, so there is no selection.

From what I found on web Error 30 is a shutter problem. Have you been using/are you in Live View.

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00WcpB

I agree on using the card reader, but you should try reseting the camera to clear the error and be sure it is not a sign of impending failure situation.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

The T3i is later model that doesn't have/need PTP, so there is no selection.

John, the way you put that has me a bit confused. I thought it was that when the older cameras (the XTi et al) were built, PTP was new and its adoption uncertain. So Canon made it an option but not the default. Then PTP was widely adopted, and later cameras had only PTP because that was all they needed. Then more recently, downloading software, such as the EOS Utility, stopped supporting the older protocol (I forget its name), which requires the older cameras to use the non-default PTP setting. Have I got that all wrong?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Bob.

The newer cameras don't have any option for selecting PTP; maybe its built in and my wording was imprecise.

The communication selection, which doesn't exist, isn't the cause of the OP's problem.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Another vote for using a card reader. So very simple. If your computer doesn't have one built in you can find USB plug in readers everywhere for about $15.00.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements