cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set Rebel T5 back to factory settings.

MaryLouDavis
Contributor

I saw an answer someplace on here that said it was under Menu tab 3.  I can't it there.  I recently bought this camera on QVC and it never did take a picture in low level light on the A setting.  I tried to set something in the M mode.  I think someone had this camera before me and they sent it on to me.  I want to reset it back to the factory setting for the Automatic mode.  Someone please answer or I have to send it back.  My friend bought one too and hers took A pictures right after she installed the batteries.

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You need to be in P mode and then select the yellow wrench 4 menu. Select Clear Settings option. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you! exactly right. Just learned that now. The tools tab shows up in the menu of P,tv,av and M. But does not show up under the A mode....which I hope will set the A mode back to factory settings when I click the clear settings option? Thank you so much for taking your time to answer. I have learned a lot from the answers. I have lots to learn yet. But looking forward to it.

I get so so lost.  I posted a thank you to the answer and I don't see it.  I did a quick reply I guess. The anwser is absolutely right.  There is a hammer tool tab under all of them.   I did not know enough to click the menu under the different modes.  So it does show up when in any of the modes.   I just clicked clear setting and it did clear the setting I had under the A.   Now I am back to where it as when I first got it.  I will go back and set it back to LIVE to get it to take a picture in my living room.

Is there something wrong with this camera?  My little Canon Point and Shoot that I carry in my purse will take perfect pictures in my low light living room  So will my friend's camera. 

You don't need to set it to LiveView unless you want to. If you're unsure of settings and use set it to A+ mode and be sure all is working well.

What problem are you having?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I have a 30 foot living room dining room comination and with only a light on one side, it will not give a green square to take a picture of someone sitting 20 feet away and my Canon purse camera takes a great picture. I am back on Live now on A+ and it takes a good picture.  But it takes so long.  If you just see something and grab the camera, I am not well versed enough to click something to set it up for low light, etc.  I think it should just do it like my purse camera. 

I have no look more now too.  Now it wants to count down from 8 before it takes a picture and I don't know what I did...except I think I did nothing to set a timer. 

Do you think something is wrong with it if I reset all settings and still can't get a good picture on A+.  Or am I still doing something incorrectly.  Thank you so much for your time.

ok.  I am back now to where I was before was before I clicked the reset button.  All that is good to know.  and I got back to taking the picture.   It does a couple flashes which I guess a assist flashes, the LED goes black and then the grid comes up and only a couple of the little boxes around the big box turn green and I can take a good picture. 

I think I am at where I want to be.  Maybe going to the second grid that gives more boxes does it or maybe Live does it.  I'm not sure.  I don't think I should have to do it.  When one pays that much for a camera, one wants it to work like other cameras; or, one wonders what other settings might be different.  And, I am such a novice...I really don't know if it is ok or not. 

The flashing is focus assist. Not enough light to focus without flash helping. 

It it may be so dark in room that even with flash assist the normal focusing method won't work and that is why you need to use LiveView. 

Dont get frustrated. Go outdoors tomorrow and get comfortable with camera in daylight. Rebels are great cameras, but for quick snapshots a little point and shoot can be better.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I am glad you know what is happening and that you think it is ok.  I'm so glad.  I want to keep it.  I'm just afraid that if I think about sending it back I won't have them send another because I figure I just can't get it figured out.

I was playing with here in my house and on the M setting I was taking pictures against the window and had it set so I could see what was outside.  It also showed a cobweb stuck up from the drape to the ceiling.  How embarrassing!  I went over to look and you couldn't see it!  I even had a friend look and she had to get real close and then it was "iffy"  I showed it at camera club even though it was embarrassing.  So, it can take good pictures.

I've played with it outside and it does great.  I want to find some nice clouds yet too.  It will be so much fun.

I've been up to Conway and you have some beautiful scenery there for pictures.  We were there for fall foliage...that was years ago and I wished I could take pictures then.  But film photography was an expensive hobby way back then.  I remember a place we passed with pumpkins and they were so pretty.  Kinda flat here in S. D.

Thank you very much for telling me what my camera is doing and that it is ok to do that.   We have have camera club next week and I will tell them someone very helpful helped me and that I am learning.  they were all trying to help, but everyone has a different type camera and it hard for them to know too.  Slowly but surely, I guess...I will learn.   

Did you set self timer by accident?

use the dial to get selection back to left hand side "One Shot"

when you say can't get green square do you mean green focus dot in viewfinder?

image.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements