Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

How do I make my EOS Rebel T3 use the flash on every picture?

I take pictures for my Real Estate business and need the flash for most every shot, how do I do that on my camera?  Is there a wide angle lens available for this camera?

Thank you!

Super Contributor

Re: How do I make my EOS Rebel T3 use the flash on every picture?

If you are shooting in fully automatic (green box mode dial), the flash will only come on when the camera thinks it needs additional light for a correct exposed image.  If you want to force the flash to fire you will need to use a mode other than Auto (I'm not sure if you can force flash on in P mode or not).

A great wide angle lens is Canon's EF-S 10-22.  There are less expensive 3rd party lens but I don't have specific knowledge of them.  Keep in mind when shooting with a wide angle lens, it's easy to distort objects when the subject is close to the lens.  I understand serious architectural photographers use tilt-shift lens to manage distortion.

The T3's built-in flash only covers up to 17mm.  This means if you have lens wider than 17mm, the flash will not reach the sides of your images.  You might want to purchase a separate flash to provide more power and better coverage for a wide lens.  A real benefit of a separate flash would be to bounce the flash off the ceiling or a wall and have the ability to increase/decrease flash output. The 430EX II flash covers a little wider, up to 15mm and has the ability to bounce the flash.  The 600EX-RT has even more power and or course can bounce.  I'm not familiar with the 320EX but it also has a head that can bounce flash.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do I make my EOS Rebel T3 use the flash on every picture?

It should work in P mode with either the built in flash (which you may need to make pop up) or a Speedlight mounted on the Hotshoe. The camera will pick a speed up to 1/200 sec depending on the natural light available. Agree on the 10-22 & the fact that the flash needs help to cover the extra wide angles.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."