cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I keep the shutter opened on a Canon Rebel T6

t3ijbp
Contributor

Hi,

I recently was gifted a Rebel T6.  I have 2 cables from an old Olympus film camera that keep the shutter opened.  Can these be used with the Rebel T6?  If not, what would I use to do this?

Thanks,

T3ijbp

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You need a Canon RS60-E3 or equivalent.  This is a wired remote release that plugs into port on the left side of your camera.  It's has a shutter button with a lock switch.  You set the camera to 'bulb' mode and the camera will hold the shutter open for as long as the button is pressed on the RS60-E3.

There are some 3rd party equivalents that have timers on them (Canon doesn't have a model with a timer for your camera) so you can dial in a specific amount of time and often these also allow you to program it to take shots at periodic intervals (e.g. Take a shot once every 5 minutes for example).  For this reason, these remote releases with timers are often called "intervalometers".

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

StanNH
Rising Star

The Bulb setting in TV will keep the shutter open as long as the shutter button is depressed.  You can also get wired and wireless remote shutter releases.  If your old cable shutter release uses a threaded end, it won't work.  In any case, it has to be Canon compatible, which yours probably isn't anyway.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You need a Canon RS60-E3 or equivalent.  This is a wired remote release that plugs into port on the left side of your camera.  It's has a shutter button with a lock switch.  You set the camera to 'bulb' mode and the camera will hold the shutter open for as long as the button is pressed on the RS60-E3.

There are some 3rd party equivalents that have timers on them (Canon doesn't have a model with a timer for your camera) so you can dial in a specific amount of time and often these also allow you to program it to take shots at periodic intervals (e.g. Take a shot once every 5 minutes for example).  For this reason, these remote releases with timers are often called "intervalometers".

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Canon does not make a timer that will plug in, but they *finally* make an adapter RA-E3 that will let you use a TC-80n on almost any camera.

Thanks for the info.  This is now on my list of things to get.

Announcements