cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find out if a used camera I am interested in purchasing has been reported lost or stolen?

InkDigger
Apprentice

I am considering the purchase a used T6s from a person who no longer has the original box and paperwork, but I want to ensure it is not lost stolen prior to doing so. Does Canon maintain a database of equipment that has been reported lost stolen? Thank you in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

Things that help confirm the seller bought & used it are to have them demonstrate how certain functions work / are set. They should have the software that came with it & cables, battery charger etc  PLUS most people (but not all) take the time to add their name where it goes in the EXIF info set that names the camera owner / copyright etc. You'll need a sample image to check the EXIF but that's not hard to request.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

There is a website called Lenstag.com where people can register and then report if photo equipment is lost or stolen.

IF the original owner registered the camera and IF the person who lost it reported it then you would know. But no report isn't proof of anything other then that it wasn't registered.

cicopo's suggestions are good ones. The T6s is only about a year old, so it would be strange if he/she can't find all the accessories.

Plus, you could email the seller and ask for the serial number, saying that it is your practice to check that items you purchase aren't reported lost or stolen as protection to yourself. If there is any hesitation that might be a clue.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

InkDigger
Apprentice
Thank you for the great ideas. The camera is at a pawn shop; it only comes with the body, lens, battery, and charger. Getting the serial number won't be a problem, but does Canon maintain a list of reported "stolen serial numbers" in addition to lenstag.com?

You have to call Canon and ask them, unless a mod shows up with the info. If this is the US, pawnshops have to hold stuff like this in escrow for a period of time to give people a chance to file a police report. So I think you are OK assuming it is an honest shop.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You can't.  Plain and simple.

There is no reliable data base.  Nothing I know of is a certain, for sure way of knowing.

Pawn shops are usually pretty careful about taking 'hot' merchandise.  If it is found to be stolen, they can lose it with out monetary compensation by police.

The old saying, too good to be true, may be your best guide,

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you need to ask that question, then you need to look elsewhere to buy a camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements