cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find my lost photos? I took 70 photos and can only find the first 49.

amberlu22
Apprentice

Hi,

Yesterday I took about 70 photos. I then turned off my camera and let everything sit overnight. This morning I took about ten more. I flicked through them to see if I liked them or not. In a matter of maybe a minute, about 30 photos disappeared. Where did they go? I did not reformat or delete.

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

To better help you with your issue, some more details are needed, so that someone can try to reproduce your scenario and better understand your issue. 

What camera are you using?  Is your memory card full?  Is it possible that your camera saved the pictures to a different folder in the memory card?  Have you tried to download the pictures to laptop, or some other storage device?  Have you tried to read the memory card using a card reader on a laptop? 

If you take another picture, do you see the new picture?  What number/name did the camera assign to this newest picture, compared to the pictures that you can recall?  Is there a gap in the naming and numbering scheme, reflecting your missing photos?

Any little detail that you can provide will help.  Help someone to help you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

amberlu22
Apprentice
hi! Good idea! Thank you!

I am using a canon rebel t3i.
My memory card is not even close to full.
They are not in a different folder.
Nothing will show up on my lap top, only the 50 photos that were not vanished
I have used a card reader.
their are no number gaps bc its only the most recent photos that were deleted.

I am wondering if maybe the card is just corrupt?
I tried a recovery program as well, only the photos I knew existed had showed up.

@amberlu22 wrote:
hi! Good idea! Thank you!

I am using a canon rebel t3i.
My memory card is not even close to full.
They are not in a different folder.
Nothing will show up on my lap top, only the 50 photos that were not vanished
I have used a card reader.
their are no number gaps bc its only the most recent photos that were deleted.

I am wondering if maybe the card is just corrupt?
I tried a recovery program as well, only the photos I knew existed had showed up.

Yes, it is possible that your card is corrupt.  Not unless you have changed the default naming conventions, the photos should be numbered sequentially, irregardless of whether or not the photo was deleted by you, or through some other means.  There probably should have been a gap in the file names' numbering scheme.

When you take a photo, don't you see it on the rear of the camera immediately after you shoot it?

amberlu22
Apprentice
Yes, I see the numbers right away. but I have not taken any photos since they were deleted. I read somewhere that if i want to gain the photos back or recover them, i wnt be able to once i take more photos. So I have avoided that so far.

If the pictures do not appear inside of the camera, then they are likely lost.  I would purchase a new card, and begin using that, since you are justifiably concerned that you could overwrite the missing files.  Be aware that some computer OS settings will hide certain file types, with certain file extensiions, from the user.

amberlu22
Apprentice
wow! you are awesome! thank you!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements