cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I enable infrared remote triggering on my Canon Rebel T5

jjmac
Contributor

My awesome wife bought me a complete starter kit with a Canon Rebel T5 (not a T5i) for my birthday... I'm so stoked! In the starter kit was an infrared remote that looks like this.

It says I just need to set my camera to accept remote triggering in order to use this remote. But I cannot for the life of me find it! I tried searching google but any time I type anything remotely (no pun intended) related to Canon Rebel, I get pages and pages of places to buy one and not much information at all on how to use one.

Thanks for your time!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
19 REPLIES 19

@jjmac wrote:

Well... that's a little disappointing. Yes it was a 3rd party bundle, not from Canon directly. But thanks so much for your help 🙂

It is, but you'll make do. If you really get in to photography you'll probably be upgrading at some point anyway.

It looks like it has a port for a cable release if you want to try that.  You can get really cheap generic ones online.  Have fun with your new camera.

There are thrid party radio trigger if you want to go wireless. The range is much much better than IR trigger anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

@hsbn wrote:

There are thrid party radio trigger if you want to go wireless. The range is much much better than IR trigger anyway.

That's really good to know, I may try to find one compatible with my camera. Thanks!

@jjmac wrote:

@hsbn wrote:

That's really good to know, I may try to find one compatible with my camera. Thanks!

I highly recommend the Yongnuo RF-603 II.  Make sure it's the second version (II).  You can get a set for about $30 on Amazon.  I use the RF-602, and I like them a lot, but they fixed some small things when they released the RF-603 II.

The Yongnuo triggers are designed for off-camera flash, but can double as a remote trigger.  It comes with a cable for that use.  Plus you'll have the ability to get a flash off camera if you choose to do so.

As HSBN said, it has better range than IR.  But in addition it doesn't rely on line of sight.  You have to be in front of the camera, and to the right side to get the IR remotes to work.  A large lens or lens hood can block the IR remotes and can be a little bit of a PIA.  I still use my IR remote most the time, because it's quicker to setup, but I use the Yonguo triggers on occasion (for shutter, I use them all the time for flash) when I need to get far from my camera or I want a rapid burst (the IR remotes are slow, but Yongnuo triggers will fire off as fast as the camera can go).

If you want to try off camera flash, you can get the Yongnuo YN 560 III (again, make sure to get the mark 3) for about $70 and it has an RF-603 built in.  So you just put one of your RF-603 in the hot shoe, and you can move your flash wherever you want.

Thanks again for the awesome information, it looks like a good deal. I have actually already ordered a wired trigger with a shutter lock, but if ever I find the need to go wireless I will keep this in mind. Thanks so much!

Does it work with the canon powers hot elph 170 is?

@Jay1
No it will not work with canon powershot elph 170 is as that camera has no remote control terminal or hot shoe.

Mamiya Super Press 23, Minolta SRT 100, 101, & 102, Canon AE-1,
Rebel T5 EF-S 18-55mm IS II & EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Kit Refurbished $260
As Seen on TV, It's Not for Me

Thanks. Is there an adapter?

@Jay1 wrote:
Thanks. Is there an adapter?

No adapter as most point and shoot cameras are very limited in features. Your only option for that camera is self-timer function
Pg. 31 of user manual http://www.camera-usermanual.com/manuals/canon/Canon_PowerShot_ELPH_170_IS.pdf

Mamiya Super Press 23, Minolta SRT 100, 101, & 102, Canon AE-1,
Rebel T5 EF-S 18-55mm IS II & EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Kit Refurbished $260
As Seen on TV, It's Not for Me

hsbn
Whiz

You have to change the Drive mode to Self Timer

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-change-the-drive-mode-on-the-canon-rebel-t5.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Announcements