cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I blur pictures with my Canon?

calebsmommy31
Contributor

I just opened my studio and have a session tomorrow.  How can I blue pictures with my Canon?  I've been trying

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Basically, if space allows, use a longer lens with wide aperture, you can achieve a relatively blur out background. To be more specifc, have to know your gears and venue.

Some basic equipment like a rebel camera with a 50mm F1.8 could do the job well for beginner. You may have to step down a bit from the widest aperture (f2.2 to f2.8) to get the best sharpness of the subject. If you are happy with the result of f1.8, then keep it wide open.

Get reasonably close to your target, which has to be some distance from the background. Experiment with it to get the best result.

The are a lot of tutorials about depth of field online. They will help.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

ezpop
Rising Star

What exactly is the question ?

To take pictures with blurry background ?

Soft focus for portraits ?

or other special effects ?

If none of the above, then it's easy... just defocus and everything will be blur.

Sorry ....to take blurry background pics. ...I've been reading and watching videos but I'm a tad confused

ezpop
Rising Star

BTW, what's the lens(es) you will use in your shooting. FF or APSC camera ?? More information will help to advise the settings to achieve the effect you want.

Basically, if space allows, use a longer lens with wide aperture, you can achieve a relatively blur out background. To be more specifc, have to know your gears and venue.

Some basic equipment like a rebel camera with a 50mm F1.8 could do the job well for beginner. You may have to step down a bit from the widest aperture (f2.2 to f2.8) to get the best sharpness of the subject. If you are happy with the result of f1.8, then keep it wide open.

Get reasonably close to your target, which has to be some distance from the background. Experiment with it to get the best result.

The are a lot of tutorials about depth of field online. They will help.

You're trying to shoot professionally according to my interpretation of your question. Shouldn't you be able to tell US how to do this? The reason pro's get paid is that they know how to do what's needed from them.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

calebsmommy31
Contributor
Wow. I'm a beginner. Doing photos out of my home. I didn't expect a response like this. Don't worry about helping. My Husband helped me

calebsmommy31
Contributor
Btw....i don't charge right now. ...

calebsmommy31
Contributor
Thank you ezpop!!!

calebsmommy31
Contributor
Lol btw if I was a pro I wouldn't be asking these questions.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements