Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

How can I wirelessly connect EOS 2000D with MacBook Pro? Must I have a cable?

I have a macbook pro running macOS Catalina 10.15.5 (latest Version)

I downloaded the Canon Utility 2 and Utility 3 and the network utilty app. I can't figure out how to connect my macbook wirelessly to the camera so i can import the pictures directly onto my macbook. The camera does not list a computer as an option. Is this camera model capable of connecting with computer on wifi? I can use wifi with the Canon Connect app just fine. Photo on 6-11-20 at 12.12.jpg

Highlighted
VIP

Re: How can I wirelessly connect EOS 2000D with MacBook Pro? Must I have a cable?

I believe the wireless connectivity in that model is only for connecting to mobile devices.  Use a USB cable to connect to laptop or computer, which is a MUCH fasater connection, anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: How can I wirelessly connect EOS 2000D with MacBook Pro? Must I have a cable?

[ Edited ]

@Waddizzle wrote:

I believe the wireless connectivity in that model is only for connecting to mobile devices.  Use a USB cable to connect to laptop or computer, which is a MUCH fasater connection, anyway.

Let me try to put what Waddizzle is saying in somewhat more technical terms. Some Canon cameras can be configured as a WiFi access point, but yours apparently cannot; it can function only as a client. Which means that for it to communicate with a computer, the computer must be an access point. Most WiFi-equipped laptop computers prefer to be a client, but some can be configured as an access point. Whether your Macbook is one of them, I don't know; but a bit of research should tell you. If it isn't, then you're probably out of luck and should take Waddizzle's advice to use a USB cable instead.

Personally, I think you should take Waddizzle's advice anyway, and use a USB cable or even a card reader. WiFi is slow and cumbersome for the purpose. There may well be circumstances where WiFi is the best way to go, but uploading images from a camera to a computer isn't one of them.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much ... I think you may be correct. 

Thank you for the reply

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I have the canon app on my phone (Samsung) but that requires that I download the files onto my mac and then into photos mac app. It's fine, it works and takes a bit of time but for now, its' fine. 

Thank you for the advice