cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use AC adapter while connected to computer when they use same digital terminal?

Cielle92
Apprentice

Work just bought EOS Rebel T3 because it is one of the few cameras that works with our picture taking software.  The camera would be always connected to computer and ready to go so we also bought the AC adapter figuring the battery would not last all day.  Both the interface cable that connects to computer and the AC adapter uses the same digital terminal so how is that supposed to work? Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4

@Cielle92 wrote:

Work just bought EOS Rebel T3 because it is one of the few cameras that works with our picture taking software.  The camera would be always connected to computer and ready to go so we also bought the AC adapter figuring the battery would not last all day.  Both the interface cable that connects to computer and the AC adapter uses the same digital terminal so how is that supposed to work? Any ideas?

Either I'm missing something or you are. A camera AC adapter draws far more power than can be supplied by a computer. If your "AC adapter" is actually just a USB cable, it won't work (except to connect the camera to the computer, which at least is one of your requirements). An AC adapter that would actually do the job normally goes in the space that was occupied by the battery it's replacing. And it usually plugs into a 110V or 220V wall socket.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Cielle92
Apprentice
The Cable to computer plugs into digital terminal on the camera to USB on computer. The AC adapter plugs into same digital terminal on camera and plugs into wall socket. So I cannot, so it seems, plug it into a wall socket and have it connected to computer at the same time, but it's very important that I do!

Are you using an official Canon product?

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ac-adapter-kit-ack-e10

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Are you using an official Canon product?

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ac-adapter-kit-ack-e10

That is exactly what I was wondering.  The AC adapter does not plug into the USB port... you eject the battery and the AC adapter has a module which is shaped like the battery.  It slides into the battery compartment.  A small flap on the side of the battery comparment opens to allow you to route the power cord and still close the battery comparment door (without damaging anything.)

Use the genuine Canon product.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements