cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I set the camera to 1/125, F11, 100 ISO?

Freddyfred69
Apprentice

Hello,

Please someone tell me how can I set my Canon Rebel T5 at 1/125,F11 and 100 ISO?

I tried many thing with no succes... I can always change 2 settings but never a 3rd one.

Please help me! 

Thank you in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If the mode dial were set to "M", then you should be able to set any of those three values to anything you want.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

Thank you for your answer.  Yes I can set this to 1/250 and 100 ISO but where is the button to switch to focal?

There is the 5 buttons ''ISO'', ''AF'', ''WB'', ''The timer button'' and ''set'' button.

The ''Q'' button also but I can not switch to adjust the focal...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If the mode dial were set to "M", then you should be able to set any of those three values to anything you want.

Thank you for your answer.  Yes I can set this to 1/250 and 100 ISO but where is the button to switch to focal?

There is the 5 buttons ''ISO'', ''AF'', ''WB'', ''The timer button'' and ''set'' button.

The ''Q'' button also but I can not switch to adjust the focal...

I just found it!!

I had to press the ''AV'' button and at the same time turn de wheel and select ''F11''.

Tank you!

BUT wait. 

Why do you have an exact exposure setting in mind, without knowing how to input it to the camera?  The proper exposure is what your situation is in a certain light at a certain time on a certain day, etc....

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Freddyfred69
Apprentice
First. I wanted to know how to do all the strings myself instead of always use the preset fonctions of the camera. Second, the attics are to catch the full moon, they were recommended to me.

Regards,
Freddyfred

It's rare that Manual is the best setting unless you are in a photo studio.

Use Tv when a fast shutter is important. Use AV when depth of field is the most important thing.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

@ScottyP wrote:

Use Tv when a fast shutter is important. Use AV when depth of field is the most important thing.  

Manual is ther best setting for astrophotography, including the Moon.  Most cameras will almost always not meter the exposure of the Moon properly.  The camera tends to way over expose the Moon.  Ditto for starscapes.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ScottyP wrote:

Manual is ther best setting for astrophotography, including the Moon.  Most cameras will almost always not meter the exposure of the Moon properly.  The camera tends to way over expose the Moon.  Ditto for starscapes.

Ah. Either I was typing when his post explaining he was up to astrophography appeared or I just didn't see it. 

Scott

"Ah. Either I was typing when his post explaining he was up to astrophography appeared or I just didn't see it."

Judging from the post times, I'd venture that you two "cross posted".  No harm, no foul.  I think most people can notice it.

But, I shoot in M mode quite a bit.  Just about the only time that I do not is when I am outdoors shooting under conditions with widely varying light conditions, and I am in a hurry to get a shot: i.e. like trying to photograph creatures in the wild.  There are a lot scenarios where shooting in manual is the best choice, more than astrophotography.

When I use my tilt-shift lens, the camera meters the light differently once I begin to add tilt or shift, which forces me to shoot in manual, because I have to set the exposure before I begin tilting or shifting the lens.  When I shoot panoramas, I want to have identical exposure on each shot, and so i am forced to shoot in manual.  Whenever I am shooting with any of my manual lenses, I will typically shoot in manual, although most will work just fine in Av mode. 

If you ever shoot video, most cameras do not allow easy adjustment of aperture with an auto focus lens.  So, I mainly shoot video with a fully manual cinema lens, and the camera in manual mode.  If you have ever tried to shoot a time lapse series of shots, these are best shot in manual mode, because you frequently want to capture the lighting conditions in the sequence.

Announcements