cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get Camera Connect (or the camera) to refresh the GPS location?

Jkalish
Apprentice

I have been successful - but only up to a point:

I purchased an SL2 (excellent).

I installed Camera Connect on my iPhone 8.

I successfully connected from the SL2 to the iPhone, using Bluetooth, and initiated GPS functionality.

I was able to receive and read GPS coordinates on my camera.

BUT

When I change my location - for say a city block - the location on my camera does not change.  Photographs taken by the iPhone at different distances show different coordinates, but the coordinates do not change for photos with the camera.

If the Camera Connect connection shuts off and then restarts, that seems to refresh the GPS coordinates, but I should not need to do that each time I move.

I previously rented an SL2 to try it out, and it had the same problem. I have now seen it on two cameras.

When this first occurred, I contacted Canon Support, but the interchange was not productive. I will contact them again, but I was hoping to find some help here.

Thanks very much.

JK

2 REPLIES 2

Tim
Authority

Hello Jkalish, 

We would like to obtain some additional information regarding this issue so ourselves or the larger community as a whole can provide assistance. 

-  When this issue occurs what is the duration that the camera is on?  

-  Are you only moving about a block at a time or if you leave the two paired and capture additional images does the same thing happen? 

-  At the time, do you have a clear view of the sky? 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

It has been a little while since I experienced this (after a while, I gave up trying), so I will go back and reproduce it.

To answer for now, as best as I can:

The camera was on at least half an hour.

Several changes of positions, each a block or more, did not produce a change in coordinates.

This is New York City, so there are many 6 to 20 story buildings, but there is a clear view of the sky.

I hope to be able to re-do this on Thursday.

Thanks!

Announcements