Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

How can I extend the record time from 30 min. to 1 hour on an EOS Rebel T3i?

I am using a 32 GB SanDisk with nothing on it at this time.  I tried setting the Movie-recording Size to 640 x 480 with no improvement.

Sandford

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How can I extend the record time from 30 min. to 1 hour on an EOS Rebel T3i?

IF you need a longer recording time you must buy a video camera. Still cameras can't do what you want to do.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Highlighted
VIP

Re: How can I extend the record time from 30 min. to 1 hour on an EOS Rebel T3i?

When a still camera captures and saves video images, there will be physical limitations imposed on the files that are created.  The files will be limited to either 29:59 in running time, or approximately 4GB in size.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:

When a still camera captures and saves video images, there will be physical limitations imposed on the files that are created.  The files will be limited to either 29:59 in running time, or approximately 4GB in size.

Just to be clear, the two limitations are unrelated. The size limitation is imposed by the file system used by the camera. The recording time limitation keeps the camera from being taxed as a video camera by certain countries. (I've read that it's the EU, but I can't confirm that.)

Recording may also stop if the camera starts to overheat or if the memory card can't keep up with the rate at which information is being sent to it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks for all the information.  It was very helpful.

Sandy