cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High-power telephoto lens for Rebel T6i T7i

RainyNight
Contributor

I was just wondering if anyone can please recommend a high-powered telephoto zoom lens that is compatible with the EOS Rebel T7i

I'm looking for something 400mm or higher for photographing the moon.

If possible I'm hoping to find one for under $500 but I know that might not be realistic.

Thanks for any help!

28 REPLIES 28

"I use a Tamron 150-600mm (version 1) and have had really good luck with it."

Yes you have!  Nice shot.

I hand hold my big Sigma S on a 1 D Mk IV so I know it is possible.  I also have the C version and I agree it is much easier.  You can hold longer with it.  I own the Tamron, too.  I think they are too close to call a winner.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@kvbarkley - Thank you for the clarification and yes I suppose I meant 400mm actual now that I understand. Great shot of the moon too!

@StaNH - Thanks for sharing the amazing example of what you can do with the Tamron 150-600mm!

I most definitely do not have the steady hand it would require to make those shots, so...

@Waddizzle - Thanks for your input regarding tripods - I really have no idea where to begin and I'm not in a position to afford the "real gear" yet, so based on what you wrote and some searching I did, I'm guessing I *might* be able to pull off $80 ballpark for a "hobbyist" level tripod that will hold my Rebel T7i with something like the Tamron 150-600mm on it.

All of you - thank you so much for taking the time to post your feedback here. I'm sure you encounter your fair share of noobs like me who have caught the fever to become a better photographer and want to take the kind of shots we have in our heads, and it must be hard to want to answer our rookie questions sometimes. I really appreciate it very much.

My Rebel T7i was supposed to be here days ago and was lost in processing or shipping, so after some rigamoraul with customer service reps the tracking shows arrival today. So excited to begin learning!

W
@RainyNight wrote:

@Waddizzle - Thanks for your input regarding tripods - I really have no idea where to begin and I'm not in a position to afford the "real gear" yet, so based on what you wrote and some searching I did, I'm guessing I *might* be able to pull off $80 ballpark for a "hobbyist" level tripod that will hold my Rebel T7i with something like the Tamron 150-600mm on it.

Normally, a "hobbyist level" tripod that lists for fifty to hundred dollars would work with a Rebel Series and the kit lenses.  Just as long as it is not plastic.  But, I don't think a budget is likely to work well with a heavier lens like th 150-600mm lenses.

If you're going to spend the money for a 150-600, give it a quality tripod.  You will only wind up buying a better one down the road, after you figure why the budget tripod was so inexpensive.  Most are suitable for point and shoot camera, not DSLRs, and not suitable for heavy lens.

Instead of buying a cheap tripod, buy a protective CLEAR filter for the lens, instead.  I recommend a B+W XS-Pro Clear MRC-Nano 007 Filter.  I have found UV filters not to be very useful shooting sports and wildlife.  Software can clean up skies, and i don't take many photographs trying to see below the surface of a lake.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@RainyNight wrote:

I was just wondering if anyone can please recommend a high-powered telephoto zoom lens that is compatible with the EOS Rebel T7i

I'm looking for something 400mm or higher for photographing the moon.

If possible I'm hoping to find one for under $500 but I know that might not be realistic.

Thanks for any help!

Save up for quality super telephoto lens.  Beware of the used marketplace.

Invest in a good tripod or monopod.  I am hardly the bird photographer, but I like to fish, and I have found birding has many similarities to fishing, except birding is far less messy.  Shooting handheld with BIG lenses takes a LOT of practice, and so it is skill many never master.  Consider investing in some form of camera support.

If you are on the go in the wild, I find a monopod to more useful and easier to manage than a tripod.  A tripod is good if you plan to park yourself in one general location, but unless you are in a hidden location, the wildlife will easily spot you.  A sufficiently robust tripod can be heavy, which is why the lighter carbon fiber tripods are popular.

But, I have found that a monopod is lighter than a tripod, easier to carry, and faster to setup.  A monopod can also be a less costly solution for someone on the move.  Use a tilt head with a monopod,  You pan by turning the entire rig.  I use a Kirk MPA-2 head on a Benro A48TD monopod.

I love the Kirk because the quick release is Arca-Swiss compatible, like the rest of my gear, but more importantly, the quick release clamp can be rotated 90 degrees.  The Benro monopod came with an excellent case, large enough to hold a mounted video head, and has retractable feet for stability.  That is as good as it gets on a budget.  I am not recommending that particular gear, but only trying to give you an idea of "what to think about" as you consider your options.  A tripod would cost more than a monopod, and you would likely want a head with a larger price tag than a tilt-only head.

TRIPODS and HEADS:

I prefer tripods without a center column, like how most video tripods are made.  Many birders use gimbal mounts, which are large and heavy.  Using a gimbal tends to test the stability of a tripod.  A raised center column only decreases the stability of a tripod.  Because of their size, gimbal heads tend to cost a few hundred dollars, which makes them cost prohibitive to most consumers and photo enthusiasts.

Ball heads are more compact than a gimbal, which makes them the most popular type of tripod head sold.  Ball heads are great for stills, and simple horizontal pans.  Ball heads are not so great for panning AND tilting, like would tracking a bird in flight.  No wonder so many folks prefer to hand hold the lens compared to using their tripod with a ball head.  Don't get wrong, though.  I prefer a ball head under most general shooting scenarios.  They are faster to setup than a gimbal.

Another type of tripod head design are tilt heads and pan/tilt heads.  I described a tilt head in the previous post.  A pan/tilt head adds horizontal panning.  Most video heads are pan/tilt designs, but they can have limited range when it comes to tilting.  They are frequently limited by how much they can tilt backwards to point up, usually around 60 degrees or so.  But, they are able to tilt forward much further, frequently to a full 90 degrees.  I use my pan/tilt on a tripod that i do not plan to move, like when I shoot the rare video.

Again, I like tripods without a center column.  Nothing beats the convenience and speed of setup than a center column.  But, your tripod is less stable with the center column raised.  I was lucky enough to get my hands on a couple of Benro Combination Series aluminum tripods before they were discontinued a couple of years ago.  A similar carbon fiber tripod that is available today would be the Induro Grand Series.

I still have a couple of "starter" tripods with center column that I still use on occasion.  They have a smaller footprint than my tripods that lack center columns.  They are great for macro shots.

Lamegame96
Apprentice
Does the Sigma 150-600 it create issues with autofocus on the T7?

We haven't heard of any, though of course there are several versions of the Sigma 150-600. Some here swear by the Sport.

When I had a Sigma, it worked fine with my T3i.

"Does the Sigma 150-600 it create issues with autofocus on the T7?"

I don't have a Rebel T7 but I have used the Sigma 150-600mm C on several different Rebel models and seen no issues.

IMHO, I would not recommend the Sigma S or "Sport" model for a person that has a T7.  It is always best to try and keep your gear even or equal.  The Sigma S lens is a ful on pro level lens well beyond what T7 owners want or need. However that said and understood if you want the best in a 150-600mm, again IMHO, the Sigam S is the choice.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary unit and I am very happy with the quality.  The fact that it is about half the price and weight of the Sports version are not insignificant considerations.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements