cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High-power telephoto lens for Rebel T6i T7i

RainyNight
Contributor

I was just wondering if anyone can please recommend a high-powered telephoto zoom lens that is compatible with the EOS Rebel T7i

I'm looking for something 400mm or higher for photographing the moon.

If possible I'm hoping to find one for under $500 but I know that might not be realistic.

Thanks for any help!

28 REPLIES 28

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Recommending the lens is easy.  Keeping it at or around $500 is impossible.  Good and cheap are opposites. Not simpatico.

Anyway here goes;

Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 for Canon EF, and

Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF

Both fo these blow the doors off $500 bucks.  They are a your choice deal as both are nearly the same IQ wise.

There is cheaper options in the prime market.  For instance;

Bower 500mm f/8 Manual Focus Telephoto T-Mount Lens.  It is not a zoom and it is totally manual.  Totally !  However it is around $125 bucks.  It is also reasonably decent in IQ.  This lens is branded by several makers but essentially the same lens no matter.

This brings us to the used market.  You may still have a hard time finding one of the above super zooms for $500 but there were other variants that can be had for around $500. For instance, the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Lens.

I might mention one of my all time favorite teles, the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens. This is a unique lens that only Canon makes.  It is superb and a best buy for sure.  Used, $500 might not be possible but close, $750 should be doable. This lens is light, fast and super sharp. A hand-holder's delight.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Oh, BTW, remember the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens is 640mm on your Rebel.

EB

@ebiggs1 - Thanks again for your previous advice, and I have another question if you don't mind - if you were going to do a mostly night sky & moon shoot, would you prefer to use the Canon EF 400mm or the Tamron 600mm or the Sigma 600mm?

IMHO, the ef 400mm f5.6L is a tad bit too short for Moon shots although it can be done.  It is a wonderful lens and must be considered as a whole package.  It is light which makes it a dream to use. It is super sharp.  It does not have IS but that doesn't bother me at all.  There was time when none of my teles had IS.  We did OK, imagine that?  If some one said the ef 400mm f5.6L is the only tele you can own, I would still be happy.

On the 150-600mm twins, I think they are too close to call a winner.  Cook's choice!  The Tamron has some weather sealing the Sigma doesn't.  Make a difference to you?

EB

Not trying to talk you out of buying a tripod, however................

If you choose the ef 400mm f5.6L you may not need a tripod.   I know several guys that use that lens and do not own a tripod.  Yes, it is that light.  It is a dream to handhold.  Sans, tripod, give a monopod a look.

"I have found UV filters not to be very useful shooting sports and wildlife.  Software can clean up skies, and i don't take many photographs trying to see below the surface of a lake."

I have no idea what that means?  UV filters work as well as any protecto filter for sports and/or wildlife.  I don't think they show what's under a lake.  At least I never heard of it before!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Not trying to talk you out of buying a tripod, however................

If you choose the ef 400mm f5.6L you may not need a tripod.   I know several guys that use that lens and do not own a tripod.  Yes, it is that light.  It is a dream to handhold.  Sans, tripod, give a monopod a look.

"I have found UV filters not to be very useful shooting sports and wildlife.  Software can clean up skies, and i don't take many photographs trying to see below the surface of a lake."

I have no idea what that means?  UV filters work as well as any protecto filter for sports and/or wildlife.  I don't think they show what's under a lake.  At least I never heard of it before!

Oops. I had meant to write "... found UV and CPL filters not to be ...". Phone rang in the middle of typing a reply.

I have stopped using UV and CPL filters on my super telephoto.  They are useless for the vast majority of shooting scenarios when I am using the lens.  I get sharper photos with a Clear filter.  My EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is much sharper without a UV or CPL filter.  All I use is a Clear filter on all of my lenses now.  Much sharper photos.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ernie, also suggested a monopod.  That's good idea for using a super telephoto like a 150-600mm lens.  You can get a quality setup is you wait and look for sales.  I like to shop online at B&H Photo Video.  

You can get a quality monopod and head for half the price of a quality tripod, but it would still exceed your budget.  I recommend buying a protective filter, right out of the gate when you buy the lens.

" Phone rang in the middle of typing a reply."

Hmmm...Smiley Wink  Explains a lot !

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" Phone rang in the middle of typing a reply."

Hmmm...Smiley Wink  Explains a lot !

FaceTime with the granddaughter.

Announcements