cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's another t6i question

jaybird23059
Contributor

video on this camera seems to be 1920 X 1080, which is pretty good, but I'm greedy.  Is there a setting to raise that resolution?  What if I need to conserve space, can I set it to a smaller size?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@kvbarkley wrote:

The manual shows all the resolutions and sizes. You can shoot in 640x480 if you want. There is also a setting that increases the compression to get even more on a card.

Thanks for your response.

What I really need is higher resolution and it would appear that my camera won't provide it.  I will play around with various combinations of lenses and zoom lengths to see what will give me the best results when I crop the captured still images.  

Even with long telephoto, and heavily cropping still images from this camera are excellent, but I guess I just can't have my cake and eat it too. Smiley Sad

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@jaybird23059 wrote:

video on this camera seems to be 1920 X 1080, which is pretty good, but I'm greedy.  Is there a setting to raise that resolution?  What if I need to conserve space, can I set it to a smaller size?

Ah.  Please refer to the chart that I posted in your other thread.  The short answer is no.  The list of available video formats are listed in your instruction manual.  I believe Canon may be on the verge of releasing consumer gear that can record at higher resolutions.  Perhaps by next year this time, you will see it in stores.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The manual shows all the resolutions and sizes. You can shoot in 640x480 if you want. There is also a setting that increases the compression to get even more on a card.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Thanks for your response.

What I really need is higher resolution and it would appear that my camera won't provide it.  I will play around with various combinations of lenses and zoom lengths to see what will give me the best results when I crop the captured still images.  

Even with long telephoto, and heavily cropping still images from this camera are excellent, but I guess I just can't have my cake and eat it too. Smiley Sad

Why the heck are you taking video to extract live images?

You have at least triple the resolution when you take still images. If you shoot jpeg in continuous you can shoot 4-5 images per second almost all day.

ETA:

There is another issue with extracting video images. The camera does not record every image even at 1920p, it only records the differences between frames, so the *effective* resolution may be even less than the video resolution implies.

If you really want full resolution for each frame, get a RED.

debnbill526
Contributor

I will be shooting my son's night football game this Friday night under lights. I just purchased the T6i and I have the Canon EF 70-200 f/4L USM lens.  Can anyone help me out with the best settings for this type of situation. I'm a beginner and don't have a lot of knowledge so please be patient with me. I am trying to learn as much as I can as I go along.  Thanks. 

@debnbill526 wrote:

I will be shooting my son's night football game this Friday night under lights. I just purchased the T6i and I have the Canon EF 70-200 f/4L USM lens.  Can anyone help me out with the best settings for this type of situation. I'm a beginner and don't have a lot of knowledge so please be patient with me. I am trying to learn as much as I can as I go along.  Thanks. 

There is only so much that you can be told.  There is no substitute for raw experience.  Most people do not really understands their cameras until they have close to 10,000 photos under their belt.

I suggest that you download the full instruction manual from Canon support, and make it newest best friend. If I were to tell you what to do, you may not understand what I am talking about.  For example, do you know how to manually select AF points?  Do you know how to disable the flash?  What is a Creative Mode?  

Get out and USE the camera under various lighting conditions.  Take lots of photos inside your hose without the flash.  Do a web search for terms like Exposure Triangle and Depth of Field

Check out the this thread.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/Canon-YouTube-Video-Series/m-p/269237#M...

I suggest the link to the “EOS 101” series of videos as a starting point.

Announcements