cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with still images from HD video

bowl3001999
Apprentice

Hi, I am new here...I just joined.  I tried to search this subject, but I couldn't seem to find an answer.  I have a T3 and I'm trying to make still pictures from some video that I shot.  A mother on my son's basketball team can make stills from her videos (on her camera), but she has a Nikon.  I am just wondering if it's possible on my camera?  I did extensive searching online, but all I could see was how to cut the video.  Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@bowl3001999 wrote:

Hi, I am new here...I just joined.  I tried to search this subject, but I couldn't seem to find an answer.  I have a T3 and I'm trying to make still pictures from some video that I shot.  A mother on my son's basketball team can make stills from her videos (on her camera), but she has a Nikon.  I am just wondering if it's possible on my camera?  I did extensive searching online, but all I could see was how to cut the video.  Thanks!

I use VLC Media Player to capture snapshots of video files made by my dashcams.  Unlike many video players, VLC captures an actual frame of video, instead of taking a screen shot of your monitor like Windows Media Player does.  It's free, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you, I actually think I have that software

The resolution needed for HD Video is rather low compared to still photos. Isn't it 1920 pixels on the wide dimension?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

The resolution needed for HD Video is rather low compared to still photos. Isn't it 1920 pixels on the wide dimension?

Exacty.  Yes, that's correct.  However, screenshots taken of a paused video will have a low resolution, pixelated look to them.  The resulting files will rarely have horizontal resolution of 1920 pixels.  The exact resolution depends upon the player, your monitor, and the video playback mode.

The VLC Media Player, however, does an excellent job of capturing actual video frames from video files, either paused or during playback.  I would highly recommend it.  It is simple to use.  The resulting snapshot files from HD video have 1920 x 1080 file sizes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have that software but I my message was to point out that a still from the video won't make a large print of the quality a still from the same camera would. .

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I also use VLC.  I believe that it's the best all round video viewer.

One thing that I have found helpful is when approaching the point that you want to capture, press and hold the shift-s combination.  It will take a rapid succession of stills from which you can choose one that is suitable.

Since I'm new to this forum, I'm not sure of the correct protocol, but I have a question related to capturing stills from video. If this should be a separate topic, I expect the moderators will move it and I will follow their lead.

I am starting to record my grandson's little league baseball games.  I sometimes need to crop closely to eliminate most of the picture (just the batter at the plate).  Because I am trying to get video of the action, and grab closeups later, I can't seem to decide which lens to use to minimize the grain.  I have an 18 to 55 and a 55 to 250.  Which lens, at which focal length for the best compromise between recording the action, and capturing close up.  (If I zoom in too close I can't zoom out, or pan on the tripod quickly enough for good video.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The camera cannot do it. You wouldn't want to anyway because it would be pretty low res.

Thanks for letting me know that...I am surprised it would be such a low resolution since it was shot in HD video...

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements