cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with images from T3i

mbender
Apprentice

When I take pictures with the T3i Rebel, on the view screen the image looks fine.  However when I open the photo in Windows 10 or Lightroom, it is completly unusable.  I have attached an image of what it looks like after opening it in LR.  Any help with this issue is greatly appreciated!

Canon.PNG

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

How are you transferring the images to the computer? If via a card reader, the card reader or USB cable may be bad.

If using a camera to computer USB cable, it may be bad.

If you are shooting RAW, the jpg view on the back of the camera can look ok, but the RAW file can be corrupted. In that case, the memory card may be bad.

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Are you using a full sized SD card or a Micro SD card with an adapter? The use of an adapter can be troublesome and is not recommended.

Has the card been formatted in the camera? Have you tried a different SD card? Have you tried opening the files in Canon DPP4? Consider downloading a copy of Infanview image browser (it's free) if you haven't already. It will display RAW image files, providing the file is intact.

After you transfer the RAW files to your computer, do they have suspiciously small file sizes? Do the file names have the .CR2 file extension, no extension or something different? Has this been an ongoing problem or something that just cropped up?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I doubt it is the card reader or the USB cable but you never know. Have you tried a new top quality SD card. Never use a micro SD. Never, never, never! The file is corrupted so you need to find out how or why. Try a different computer.

If you put the SD card back into the camera, do the images show up OK?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have tried different cards, the one that was used in this instance is a SanDisk Ultra Class 10 XC 1.

I was able to use a different computer and reader today, and the pictures look like they should, no corruption at all.  

The reason I wasn't initially thinking that it was the SD Card Reader is that, I transfered files from a Sony camera just before transfering the images from the Canon camera and those don't show any corruption. So why the Canon?

Thanks for your assistance, it's greatly appreciated.

PS>.. I've already ordered a new SD Reader... 

"I've already ordered a new SD Reader... "

Sounds like a plan.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@mbender wrote:

I have tried different cards, the one that was used in this instance is a SanDisk Ultra Class 10 XC 1.

I was able to use a different computer and reader today, and the pictures look like they should, no corruption at all.  

The reason I wasn't initially thinking that it was the SD Card Reader is that, I transfered files from a Sony camera just before transfering the images from the Canon camera and those don't show any corruption. So why the Canon?

Thanks for your assistance, it's greatly appreciated.

PS>.. I've already ordered a new SD Reader... 

I am not sure what type of SD card that is.  I hope it is not a mini-SD card with an adapter.  No UHS-II cards, either.  Even UHS-I is not really recommended, but you can get away with using those made by the top brands.

I do not recommend using SDXC cards in a T3i because many of them are over specified for a T3i, which forces the card to go into a compatibility mode that has degraded performance.  Stick to full size cards 32 GB, or smaller.  .

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements