cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help- eos t3i not working

pcasner
Contributor

I have a Canon EOS T3 I. Yes, I know it's old but has been my faith camera for photographing my children's sports activities. I took pictures last Friday night at my sons football game and on Tuesday I went to use it for a soccer game and it would not take a picture. The LCD screen is black so I have no menus. It attempts to focus but will not take a picture and will eventuallyIndicate that it's busy. I have swapped out batteries. I have swapped out camera cards. I have swapped lenses with no success. The only thing that it does is when I turn it on I get one red flash of the light down in the lower right corner of the camera body. My son has a game tomorrow night and I really need to figure out what's wrong and if I can use this camera.

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@pcasner wrote:

I have a Canon EOS T3 I. Yes, I know it's old but has been my faith camera for photographing my children's sports activities. I took pictures last Friday night at my sons football game and on Tuesday I went to use it for a soccer game and it would not take a picture. The LCD screen is black so I have no menus. It attempts to focus but will not take a picture and will eventuallyIndicate that it's busy. I have swapped out batteries. I have swapped out camera cards. I have swapped lenses with no success. The only thing that it does is when I turn it on I get one red flash of the light down in the lower right corner of the camera body. My son has a game tomorrow night and I really need to figure out what's wrong and if I can use this camera.

The single flash of the LED when you power up is a good sign.  That is normal.  Make sure the camera is not in Movie Mode or Live View mode.  If you set the lens switch to [MF] does it take a photo?

I take it that pressing [MENU] or [INFO] does not change the rear display.  Does the display remain blank if you press [Q] button?  If you press the playback button, does it show you any images that you have previously taken?

If your display is still blank, then your camera may be faulty.  

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-interchangeable-lens-cameras 

It might be time for a T6 or a T7 replacement camera.  Unfortunately, you may not have a functioning camera in your hands in time for the game.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I rarely recommend anyone buying Canon’s budget T6 , T7 (2000D) or T100 (4000D) cameras because I feel they are missing too many important features:

1) NO infrared wireless remote

2) NO touchscreen LCD screen

3) NO articulating LCD screen

4) NO self cleaning sensor

5) NO external microphone jack

6) NO center contact on flash hot shoe (T7 T100 4000D)

7) NO speaker for video playback (T100 4000D)

😎 NO continuous AF in video mode

Additionally, they are often bundled with the EF-S 18-55 III which has NO Image Stabilization.

When all these missing features are added up I feel it easily justifies the extra cost of the T6i or T7i.  

Mike Sowsun

"...missing features are added up I feel it easily justifies the extra cost of the T6i or T7i."

I basically agree with that.  The only reason not to is you simply have to buy the lowest cost camera you can.  Because any camera is better than no camera.

The situation you currently find yourself in probably means you need to consider buying a new camera.  You know you need not buy a lens although some Canon camera/lens packages are to good to not get a lens with it. Any money spent on a repair, if th eT3i is still serviceable, could be applied toward a more current more features camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you, I have tried all 3 batteries and nothing. I plan to look at it again this afternoon. New battery charger is on the way because if I remove a battery and put it right back in, it is yellow again. Trying process of elimination.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I took pictures last Friday night at my sons football game and on Tuesday I went to use it for a soccer game and it would not take a picture."

It is not likely that a working T3i broke itself while sitting in a bag or sitting on a shelf, table, desk or somewhere. Was there any issues?  No drops or bangs against something?  No water even just splashed on it?

You might try a new SD card.  A new battery and/or charger. Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

John_
Authority

Short of buying another camera I would agree that you should try a new battery or charger or a different SD card. Will it turn on without the SD card inserted? If so go for a new card first. 

pcasner
Contributor
Tried different camera cards and no camera card at all. No luck. New charger on its way.

pcasner
Contributor
Trying to hold out until Black Friday for a 90d. Just need this one to keep working for a month or so.

@pcasner wrote:
Trying to hold out until Black Friday for a 90d. Just need this one to keep working for a month or so.

YES!  We will excuse you, and look the other way, if you use your cell phone until the camera might go on sale.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements