cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! My Canon Rebel T5 stopped taking photos!!

charles17
Apprentice

I was outside taking photos when all of a sudden my camera just stopped taking pictures. I;ve changed the lense twice now, & it started working again but then it stopped. I don't know what to do & its very stressful. PLEASE HELP! (-:

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I have had that happen when I change my 70-300 with the power on. Does it do anything, or just not take pictures? i.e., can you get to the menu screen? You can try taking the battery out for a few days and see if that resets things.

yes, it will do everything else. I can look at other pictures i've taken & do everything else. it beeps like its about to take a picture but it doesnt. i tries switching from AF to MF on both lenses but nothing happened. I also did take out the battery & charge it then put it back in but nothing helped. I've only had it since Christmas.

Make sure that you observe the MFD, minimum focus distances, for the lens you are using.  You can find the MFD in the camera specifications, and many budget lenses have it written on them.  It may look like this, "Macro  ## ft / ## m".

Also, the T5 is not a standout performer in low light conditions, so be sure that you have adequate light.  Additionally, some of the "Basic" zone shooting modes, may not take pictures if the shooting conditions are not what the mode is expecting to see, because the camera cannot lock focus.

Finally, most any DSLR needs to have a contrasting target to in order to auto-focus.  Some focus modes in the camera will not take picures if the camera cannot lock focus, no matter what the AF/MF switch setting on the lens is set to. 

So, what focus mode are you using: "One Shot", "AI Focus", or "AI Servo"?  How many focus points  are you using?  I recommend using just the center one.  What shooting mode are you using?  I recommend using "P" mode, which is a "Creative Mode", and it can help you learn to use the camera's exposure settings.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Bdarin
Contributor
Gently cleaning all the contacts on the lenses, camera, battery, and sd card may help. I clean with a qtip and rubbing alcohol. Be gentle.
Announcements