cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Images wont read or open!

Shutterbean23
Apprentice

I have a EOS Rebel T5

So I did a photoshoot, at least 500 pictures they were on my sd card at the end of the shoot because we looked through them.

I get home to put the pictures on my mac to edit, theres no loaded preview of the picture. Then it wont open any of the files because it "Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file." They're raw files and they ALWAYS open. So I try and open it with previewing it and its saying the file is empty. My clients paid me alot of money for this session and i cannot get these pictures to open or view. So I put my sd card back into my camera and now i cant view them there either! It says "Cannot playback image" PLEASE SOS SOMEONE HELP. I have more sessions and now i'm worried none of them are going to show up!

5 REPLIES 5

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

I would recommend trying to open those files in Digital Photo Professional, this should open any Canon RAW file which is not corrupted. If the files still do not open then I recommend running data recovery software on your SD card to try and repair any corrupted data on the card. You can download Digital Photo Professional in this link, under drivers and downloads:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca...

Greetings,

We're sorry you've run into this issue.  What Mark recommends is absolutely correct. 

Suggest you not start spending whatever fee you accepted from the person who paid for your time.   

A T5 is not a professional grade camera.  If you are basing your reputation as a photographer on this eqipment, you might be disappointed. 

I hope it works out.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I agree with the opinion that a T5 is not a suitable camera for professional work.  This experience illustrates why.  Most professionals prefer cameras with dual card slots, and frequently save both JPG and RAW file formats.

However, I think the fact that the message is saying that the file type is not recognized could be a good sign.  I say this because the message is not saying that the file is unreadable or corrupt.  Have the file extensions been changed, somehow?

Check the actual file names.  Trying to open the files with DPP is a good idea, too.  Do not put the card back into the camera. Only use copies of the files.  Do not try to open them directly on the memory card.  You do not want to "write" anything onto the  cards.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

2 other points to pile on:

If this was a micro-SD with adapter, get a full size card. The adapters have been known to fail in mysterious ways.

Also, if you are using importing software like Image Capture, do NOT set it to erase images on import. Always make sure the import goes smoothly before erasing them from the card/camera.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"They're raw files and they ALWAYS open. "

And, they always opened with PS?  Yes?  If that is true DPP4 won't open them either but it is free to try.  First do not do anything to that SD card.  Get a recovery program, some are free but the best cost money.  Also depending on what brand SD card the manufacturer might be able to recover the files.  That requires you to send the SD card to them and pay a fee. Contact them directly for info.

Take this advice from a guy that has seen it all.  If you have a camera with one SD slot use small SD cards and switch them out often.  Never, never rely on one SD card for an important shoot. On some shoots I do I take my laptop and d/l the files immediately between down times which they all seem to have. Sometimes I tether to the laptop where the files get saved to both the laptop and the camera.

ALways have a force majeure clause! Smiley Frustrated: Especially if it is a paying job. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements