cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help. Focusing screen replacement Rebel t6i

Saraluminum
Apprentice

Hello!

I’m hoping someone may be able to point me on the right direction. I need to replace my focusing screen in my Rebel t6i. I had some issues while getting it repaired at the beginning of the year and it was scratched and smudged when it came back to me. After a long argument and not wanting to pay more for something I didn’t even cause I just took my camera back with the “broken” focusing screen. I was able to clean it off the best I could to be able to still use my camera for the most part, but I’m hoping someone can help me figure out what focusing screens are compatible with my camera so I can replace it. I’m a bit of a noob with the replacement parts and after trying to google it for a bit (and getting lost lol), I figured it was best to ask for help. If I am not providing enough info, please let me know and I will definitely explain anything in more detail.

thank you all in advance!

-Saraluminum

13 REPLIES 13

@MikeSowsun wrote:

eBay or Canon parts are two places I would buy such a part. 

You can can also google the part number  CY3-1751-000 and see what comes up. 

[Removed link per Forum Guidelines]

As near as I can tell, Canon does not sell or offer focusing screens for the Rebels.  I have not found one in their Online Store, nor have I found one listed as an accessory.  I can find eyecups, but no focusing screens.  Might be related to why they are so hard to change.

Whatever you found on eBay, which I do not trust at all, is probably not made by Canon.  Your part number does not resemble the part numbers for the focusing screens that they do offer for their high end cameras.  Furthermore, I read the fine print in your image and it says focusing screen only.  I would take to mean there is no included tool., which is another clue that it is probably not from Canon.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

There are part numbers and there are part names. For example, for the 1D Mark IV, the focusing screen name is EC-CIV. Part number is CY3-1598-000.

You won't find a Rebel focusing screen in the OnLine Store because its not a consumer item, like it would be for higher level cameras.

It won't come with a tool because its not sold by Canon as a user replaceable part. But, as shown above, it can be bought and replaced by a user.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@Waddizzle wrote:

@MikeSowsun wrote:

eBay or Canon parts are two places I would buy such a part. 

You can can also google the part number  CY3-1751-000 and see what comes up. 

As near as I can tell, Canon does not sell or offer focusing screens for the Rebels.  I have not found one in their Online Store, nor have I found one listed as an accessory.  I can find eyecups, but no focusing screens.  Might be related to why they are so hard to change.

Whatever you found on eBay, which I do not trust at all, is probably not made by Canon.  Your part number does not resemble the part numbers for the focusing screens that they do offer for their high end cameras.  Furthermore, I read the fine print in your image and it says focusing screen only.  I would take to mean there is no included tool., which is another clue that it is probably not from Canon.

Canon will sell you almost any part from almost any Canon camera so that they can be repaired. As I said earlier, this particular part is not considered to be user replaceable, but the part is available from Canon, just as any other part would be. 

Mike Sowsun

rocket9244
Contributor
How hard was it to do?. Mine is scratched and needs replaced. I found a site where instructions are, but he is bad at explaining the procedure.
Do you have a video or link to hot to replace it?. Thanx.
Announcements