cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble getting sharp focus on a moving subject

ilzho
Rising Star

Ok, I have been taking pictures of horse racing, some good, some not so much.

I am using Rebel Xsi, usually in a creative mode, AV or TV or just starting manual mode as well.

I am in AI servo, using center af point, continuous shooting mode.

I have not tried Back button focusing (yet).

These pictures where taken in later afternoon, early evening, (6-7 pm) so the ISO is a little higher, just trying a few different things.

One thing that is common is that I am getting more pictures out of focus than in sharp focus, so clearly I am doing something wrong.

Either I'm not getting the center af point on my subject, or camera shake, or too slow of a shutter speed. Or I need more practice 🙂

My post processing is pretty bad as well as I am only using what Iphoto has to offer.

I am panning my shots, either to freeze the motion or to try a little motion blur.

I realize it will be very hard for you all to give me any concrete advice as you are not with me, but as always, you have giving me sound advice.

This one is in focus.

IMG_7811.jpg

This one, not so much.

IMG_7810.jpg

Some others......

IMG_7935.jpg

IMG_7952.jpg

IMG_8118.jpg

IMG_8128.jpg

37 REPLIES 37

It's canon macro lens EF 100mm 1:2.8 USM.

@ilzho wrote:

It's canon macro lens EF 100mm 1:2.8 USM.

That's a great lens.  I recently bought one, and have been amazed by the "regular" shots that it can take.

IMG_5967.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ok, stupid question, I honestly haven't played enough with the different types of metering modes.

I have it in evaluating mode.

Should I change it, or just leave it for now and practice with it on evaluative mode?

Would that help/hurt the sharpness or it has more to do with exposure?

Thanks....

@ilzho wrote:

ok, stupid question, I honestly haven't played enough with the different types of metering modes.

I have it in evaluating mode.

Should I change it, or just leave it for now and practice with it on evaluative mode?

Would that help/hurt the sharpness or it has more to do with exposure?

Thanks....

You should just leave it in Evaluative Metering mode.

Your exposures look fine.

The only time metering can impact sharpness, is if it severely underexposes the photo, you have to push the photo to make it brighter, and in doing so create a lot of noise. And then use a lot of noise reduction to get rid of the noise, which will make the picture softer. 

AI Servo is a good tool, but it has limitations. Even the 1D X won't deliver 100% of the time.

I wouldn't spend anytime reading it, but Google 1D X Auto Focus guide and just look at all the adjustments that camera has for improving AI Servo response. And that camera has several (maybe many) times the computing power of the Rebels we have.

The other thing you might try is bumping focus. I don't know the timing involved, but if you've got the camera locked in using AI Servo and the subjects suddenly stop moving towards you and now move parallel the camera needs to compute a new speed (close to zero) and readjust the focus correction.

If you release BBF and then reapply it will start the process over; I don't know which will respond quicker, but its something you could try.

The beauty of digital is we can practice at no cost.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@ilzho wrote:

Well, I'm using my brother's camera/lens so he has the software on his machine, but I'm getting my set-up in the next week or so.

Until then, I'll keep playing around and start shooting in raw.

Seriously, spend the $130 and get the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Refurbished lens. 

Best case is you love it and keep using it when you buy your own camera. 

Worse case is you don't care for it, and you give it to your brother as thanks for letting you use his camera. 

@Waddizzle wrote:

"My post processing is pretty bad as well as I am only using what Iphoto has to offer."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try visiting this link ... 

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support?tab=drivers 

... and download the latest Canon DPP software for the computer.  You will need the serial number on the camera to download some software applications.  DPP4 is not the best package, but it is free, and it is a start.  Canon's DPP is a good introduction to many of the concepts and strategies behind processing your camera's images.

DPPis most flexible when you process images saved as RAW format.  It also allows for lens correction, distortion and vignetting, but only for Canon lenses it seems.

I don't think DPP 4 supports the XSi. AFAIK, he'll have to use DPP 3.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

"My post processing is pretty bad as well as I am only using what Iphoto has to offer."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try visiting this link ... 

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support?tab=drivers 

... and download the latest Canon DPP software for the computer.  You will need the serial number on the camera to download some software applications.  DPP4 is not the best package, but it is free, and it is a start.  Canon's DPP is a good introduction to many of the concepts and strategies behind processing your camera's images.

DPPis most flexible when you process images saved as RAW format.  It also allows for lens correction, distortion and vignetting, but only for Canon lenses it seems.

I don't think DPP 4 supports the XSi. AFAIK, he'll have to use DPP 3.

DPP4 is the version available for download at the link for an XSi.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Looks like you're correct. But still not the XTi.  Smiley Sad  (I never had an XSi, but we do have a lot of RAW images taken years ago with our XTi's.) Even the original 5D isn't included.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Looks like you're correct. But still not the XTi.  Smiley Sad  (I never had an XSi, but we do have a lot of RAW images taken years ago with our XTi's.) Even the original 5D isn't included.

DIGIC changed between the XTi (II) and the XSi (III). As well as the actual operating system used in the camera, VxWorks for the XTi and DryOS for the XSi. I believe the original 5D used VxWorks.

Announcements