cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble getting sharp focus on a moving subject

ilzho
Rising Star

Ok, I have been taking pictures of horse racing, some good, some not so much.

I am using Rebel Xsi, usually in a creative mode, AV or TV or just starting manual mode as well.

I am in AI servo, using center af point, continuous shooting mode.

I have not tried Back button focusing (yet).

These pictures where taken in later afternoon, early evening, (6-7 pm) so the ISO is a little higher, just trying a few different things.

One thing that is common is that I am getting more pictures out of focus than in sharp focus, so clearly I am doing something wrong.

Either I'm not getting the center af point on my subject, or camera shake, or too slow of a shutter speed. Or I need more practice 🙂

My post processing is pretty bad as well as I am only using what Iphoto has to offer.

I am panning my shots, either to freeze the motion or to try a little motion blur.

I realize it will be very hard for you all to give me any concrete advice as you are not with me, but as always, you have giving me sound advice.

This one is in focus.

IMG_7811.jpg

This one, not so much.

IMG_7810.jpg

Some others......

IMG_7935.jpg

IMG_7952.jpg

IMG_8118.jpg

IMG_8128.jpg

37 REPLIES 37

Well here are some of what I shot yesterday. A lot better when you can track the subject properly, haha.

Not perfect, but for my ability, I'm happy.

You all have helped me and I appreciate it.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskyXbVtW

@ilzho wrote:

Well here are some of what I shot yesterday. A lot better when you can track the subject properly, haha.

Not perfect, but for my ability, I'm happy.

You all have helped me and I appreciate it.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskyXbVtW

Much better.

It's good to see the Outriders now wear a safety vest. 

B from B,

"I don't think DPP 4 supports the XSi."

I thought that also but I don't use DPP 3 or 4 enough to be a competent authority.  It has also been many many years since I touched an XSi.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ok, I'm back from the track.

I think I found one of my issues........

I caught myself pulsating on the shutter button, instead of finding the target, press half way for the focus and continue to complete the shot and follow the subject continuing to hold down the button.

I found myself with the urge to release the shutter and then recompose..... bad idea for trying to follow racehorse, haha.....

This is why I think I was getting blurring images last night as the camera had to recompose the image??

At least that's my beginner theory.

My images from today are better.

I shot in RAW too which you all are right..... it allows way more post editing and my images appear a little sharper......

I post some in a little while...

@ilzho wrote:

Ok, I'm back from the track.

I think I found one of my issues........

I caught myself pulsating on the shutter button, instead of finding the target, press half way for the focus and continue to complete the shot and follow the subject continuing to hold down the button.

I found myself with the urge to release the shutter and then recompose..... bad idea for trying to follow racehorse, haha.....

This is why I think I was getting blurring images last night as the camera had to recompose the image??

At least that's my beginner theory.

My images from today are better.

I shot in RAW too which you all are right..... it allows way more post editing and my images appear a little sharper......

I post some in a little while...

Sounds about right. 

Here are a few from today. Much better for my ability......

I shot them in raw (tv mode) and then used Iphoto for PP (that's all I have).

I still can't quite figure out the coloring, shadows and brightness, but I guess with practice it will come to me.....

IMG_8258.jpg

IMG_8299.jpg

IMG_8416.jpg

Very nice. iPhoto is non-destructive editing, so you can move sliders as much as you want to see the effects. Most software if you double-click the slider you restore to "0" setting.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ilzho
Rising Star
Well I just finished the first race, 5 pictures in raw is what I get in my burst. I'm not complaining as I did get a good one, now it will be up to post processing to make that black horse visible haha.
I'll post later. I always appreciate everyone's help, I really do.
Announcements