cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having to press shutter button twice to get picture on T3i

tolebabe1
Apprentice

Up until yesterday, I have had no problems taking pictures - I'm fairly new with a DSLR, (the T3i is my first), and yesterday I was watching a video tutorial on this particular camera.  I went through the camera settings along with the instructor, through the menu settings, etc.  Today I cannot get the shutter to work the way it's supposed to! 

If I hold the shutter release half-way, I get the autofocus to work as usual, but when I continue to push it the rest of the way down, the shutter closes. I have to press the shutter release a second time before I get a photo.  I went into the custom functions and cleared all settings, (in case I had unwittingly set something that I didn't know I'd done Smiley Frustrated), but I still have to press the shutter release twice.

Does anyone know what happened, or what I'm doing or not doing??

TIA! Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@cicopo wrote:

Sounds like you've set it for MIRROR LOCK UP if you're getting a photo on the second press.

Thanks!  That was the problem!  I thought I had cleared up all the changes I'd made, but apparently not - Smiley Sad

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

cicopo
Elite

Sounds like you've set it for MIRROR LOCK UP if you're getting a photo on the second press.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

Thanks!  That was the problem!  I thought I had cleared up all the changes I'd made, but apparently not - Smiley Sad

You're welcome. Glad it was an easy fix.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'm fairly new with a DSLR,"

Why were you in mirror lock up?  It is a more advanced setting.  And I would look for a new instructor if he/she did not see that right off!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Why were you in mirror lock up?  It is a more advanced setting.  And I would look for a new instructor if he/she did not see that right off!

Er... I don't believe he said he was with the instructor when the problem occurred. (Note: "yesterday" vs "today")

Indeed, was he "with" the instructor at all? It was a video, no?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

Not the way I read it.

"I went through the camera settings along with the instructor, through the menu settings, etcToday I cannot get the shutter to work the way it's supposed to! "

Some form of communications is missing though!  Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Er... I don't believe he said he was with the instructor when the problem occurred. (Note: "yesterday" vs "today")

Indeed, was he "with" the instructor at all? It was a video, no?

To clear up any misunderstanding - the online video was going through camera settings,  - all the buttons and menu items, explaining what they did.  I was going along with the video, trying to find the settings and seeing if I could do the same thing.  I wasn't aware that I had engaged mirror lock-up, but I still went to "clear camera settings", thinking it would re-set any "oops" I may have done.  Apparently I had engaged the mirror lock-up unknowingly, and either clearing the camera settings didn't affect the lock-up, or I really didn't get the settings cleared! lol  Whatever it was, I was inadvertently and unknowingly still in mirror lock-up - an easy fix once  cicopo  identified it for me!!

Thank you to all who took the time and trouble to respond - as a beginner, I really appreciate your responding to my  (to you, I'm sure!) pretty simplistic problem!

Molliann

Lhcomp
Apprentice
@cicopo thanks for that info. It actually solved the same problem for me as well.

You're welcome & thank you for using the search function rather than starting another thread.

Announcements