cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Anyone Connected their T8i as a Webcam?

MrHVAC
Contributor

Has anyone successfully connected their Rebel EOS T8i as a webcam? I cannot get any software to recognize my T8i. I called Canon and their technical support was not able to get it connected either. I am using the EOS Webcam Utility Beta 0.9.0 for Windows. The T8i is not listed as a supported camera for that utility. I am using the one for the T7i. When I select the Webcam Utility, I only see the generic webcam utility screen. I have tried all of the usual things suggested. If you have connected yours, please tell me how you did it. Thank you.

28 REPLIES 28

I do understand aperture ( a little ) and I know how to adjust it for the photos. It is not clear how to carry the settings over for Video. So, if anyone has any advice on how to get the aperture settings adjusted for video that would be helpful. The youtube videos you suggest I have viewed but it does not change the fact that I cannot get my Video settings to change the aperture.

@BobM1 wrote:

I do understand aperture ( a little ) and I know how to adjust it for the photos. It is not clear how to carry the settings over for Video. So, if anyone has any advice on how to get the aperture settings adjusted for video that would be helpful. The youtube videos you suggest I have viewed but it does not change the fact that I cannot get my Video settings to change the aperture.

You would adjust the aperture the same way as would if you were shooting stills.  Adjusting the aperture is not available in all shooting modes.  Aperture adjustments are only available in Av and Tv modes when shooting stills.  

How much background blur you get depends a LOT on your lens, and your relative distances to the subject and the background.  There isn't a set of control settings that create background blur.  It is a result of planning ahead. It 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Bob,

When you say you can't move the settings over to video. Can you explain that a little more in detail. As Wad said the photo mode and the video mode aka Aputure, Shutter Speed, and ISO function the same way in both modes. 

It sounds like you are asking that once you put the settings in the photo mode and then switch to video mode the settings change? This is possible as it might be switching to Video mode and thus it saves the last inputed settings in video mode. 

If I'm understanding you correctly. Then what you need to do is be in video mode first. Then change the Aputure. If I misunderstood your question please let me know. 

Side note. The only big difference in Photo vs Video in regards to the exposure triangle is Shutter Speed. Shutter speed should always be double your frame rate. Your frame rate is probably 25 or 30 frames per second (fps). So you would want your shutter speed to be double so Shutter speed 1/50 or 1/60th. This is somewhat technical. But I encourage you to watch some YouTube videos that explain "What shutter speed should I use on a DSLR". BUT also remember Bob that it's just a suggestion and optimal. It's not required. But as you learn it's a rule you can learn when to use it and when to not use it. 

Last thing as a suggestion to get you started. 

In video mode. And in Manual settings. If indoors adjust your ISO to 800. Then adjust your shutter speed to double video frame rate (probably shutter speed 1/50 or 1/60th). Then your aputure to 5.6. Depending on how much light you have in the room the picture might be too bright, too dark, or just right. If it's to bright lower your ISO. ISO makes things look grainy and noisy if to high. The lower the iso the better. If it's to dark try lowering your Aputure. Depending on your lens it might go down to f4 or even f2.8. Try to keep your shutter speed at double and only adjust Aputure and ISO. 

Once you get a good exposure. Try this simple game. Try moving your iso way high adjust your aputure to make a good exposure. Try changing ISO and aputure to different settings. Then review the footage of each of the tests (make sure to write down the order and iso settings each time. Then compare what looks different. It will help to just play around with the setting and review the results. 

Let me know if you need more specific help. Have a good day Bob. 

Excellent advice!

Thank you!

bpowell0325
Apprentice

I have the same issue.

Baysl1
Apprentice

I literally have the same problem can yah please let us know when the utility program will be out for the Canon T8i

Rmog43
Apprentice

I'm sorry this thread got a bit off track. Did you ever get the t8i to work as a webcam? I have had exactly the same experience you describe. I have to believe it is because the t8i is unsupported/not on the list. I have read of others finding webcam success with unlisted cameras, but not the t8i. Help!

@Rmog43 wrote:

I'm sorry this thread got a bit off track. Did you ever get the t8i to work as a webcam? I have had exactly the same experience you describe. I have to believe it is because the t8i is unsupported/not on the list. I have read of others finding webcam success with unlisted cameras, but not the t8i. Help!

Check if there has been a firmware update for the T8I

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The Windows official release of EOS Webcam Utility now supports the EOS Rebel T8i. The Mac version is still beta and does not support the T8i yet.

Announcements